History in Structure

The Kennels, Brodick Castle, Arran

A Category B Listed Building in Ardrossan and Arran, North Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.5939 / 55°35'38"N

Longitude: -5.1636 / 5°9'48"W

OS Eastings: 200758

OS Northings: 637905

OS Grid: NS007379

Mapcode National: GBR FFMX.X4B

Mapcode Global: WH1MQ.NNCH

Plus Code: 9C7PHRVP+HH

Entry Name: The Kennels, Brodick Castle, Arran

Listing Name: Brodick Estate, the Kennels Including House and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 8 August 1995

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 338476

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6776

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200338476

Location: Kilbride

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Ardrossan and Arran

Parish: Kilbride

Traditional County: Buteshire

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


1858. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, Tudor-style house with single storey out-buildings and kennels. Stugged pink, red and buff sandstone coursers with ashlar dressings, grey slate gabled roofs. Base course to house, windows mainly timber sash and case with single, 2-, 6- and 9-pane glazing pattern; bracketted eaves with plain bargeboards, finials remaining at front dormer window and porch; tall corniced and linked round stacks to house, corniced rectangular stacks elsewhere, cast-iron rainwater goods.

HOUSE: S (FRONT) ELEVATION: 4-panelled door with fanlight and gabled open porch to centre re-entrant, bay to right with 4-pane window to ground floor and 6-pane dormer with exposed collar and post above, gable advanced to left with 3-light canted window to ground floor, 4-pane window above, exposed collar and post at gable. Single storey wing set-back to left, blocked window to right, gable with window to left, extending in L-plan to rear and linked to kennels. E (RETURN) ELEVATION: 3-light window to gable at left with 6-pane window above, single storey bay to right with 2 windows, gable to far right with blocked window and large paired doors to right return. N (REAR) ELEVATION: paired gables, 3 windows to ground floor, 2 to first, wings extending to left and right as described above.

OUTBUILDINGS: various single storey, stone outbuildings with slate roofs and sliding double doors of vertically boarded timber.

KENNELS: S (FRONT) ELEVATION: long single storey range with various doors and windows and gables to far left and right, further bay set-back to far right linked to single storey wing to left of house; dog pens to front with low saddleback-coped walls and plain cast-iron railings. INTERIOR: not seen (1995).

Statement of Interest

Part of A Group at Brodick Castle Estate comprising: Brodick Castle; Bavarian Summerhouse; Cnocan Burn Road Bridge; Greenhyde and Castle Cottages; Ice House; Walled Garden; the Nursery; Main Gates, West Gates and Coastal Boundary Walls; South Gates; Sylvania and Brodick Kennels.

The Kennels group of buildings is stylistically similar to Alma Terrace, Douglas Row and the Primary School in Brodick (listed separately), all built at the behest of the 11th Duke of Hamilton in the wake of the expansion of the castle in the 1840s and the removal of the Brodick community from its original site in the environs of the Castle to its present position. It also served as the antecedent of the Factor's House, Sylvania (1913) ' see separate listing.

Brodick Castle Estate, now a discreet entity, was originally the nucleus of the Lands of Arran. Fought over during the Scottish War of Independence, it was transformed into an Earldom and granted to James Hamilton by his cousin, King James IV, in 1503. The Isle of Arran remained as one of the minor estates of the Dukes of Hamilton until the late 19th century. Agricultural improvements in the 18th century, culminating in the clearances of the early 19th century, eventually displaced the small scale and subsistence farming on the island. In the mid-19th, improved transportation made Brodick an attractive picturesque resort and hunting destination for the Hamiltons and the castle was substantially rebuilt with the area around it laid out as gardens and pleasure grounds. On the death of the 12th Duke, in 1895, Brodick passed to the future Duchess of Montrose. In 1957 the Castle and the policies immediately surrounding were conveyed to the National Trust for Scotland, becoming the Brodick Castle Estate. The Kennels were not transferred and are now owned by Arran Estates as part of its own Brodick Estate.

List description revised in 2010-11.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.