This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4642 / 55°27'51"N
Longitude: -4.6343 / 4°38'3"W
OS Eastings: 233552
OS Northings: 622082
OS Grid: NS335220
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XX43
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.SXCG
Entry Name: 17 Cathcart Street, Flats A-N, (Former Relief Church) Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 401718
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21534
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1816. 2-storey and attic (later conversion), 5-bay, near rectangular-plan pedimented former relief church. Sandstone rubble. Base course; eaves course; cornice; blocking course; strip quoins. Segmental-headed openings; narrow margins to window openings.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central 3-bays advanced and pedimented. Pedimented central doorpiece; triglyph frieze; columns flank glazed timber door; letterbox fanlight; pilasters flank side-lights; single window aligned above at 1st floor; architraved oculus to pediment. Regular fenestration to flanking bays.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Regular fenestration at ground, 1st and attic floors; segmental-headed openings to 1st floor only (relieving arches at ground floor); square windows flank central cartwheel opening at attic. Glazed timber door and fanlight to single storey porch to outer right.
NW (FORT STREET) ELEVATION: as for SE elevation (no entrance porch).
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Regular fenestration at ground and 1st floor; central window at ground converted below to form glazed timber door with side-lights. Adjoining lean-to to outer left; timber door with fanlight at ground, single window aligned above to right; exterior railed stair to timber door to left.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; rooflights; stone skews; gablehead stacks; polygonal cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: coped boundary wall enclosing site to NE and NW elevations; single square-plan gatepiers to NE and NW elevations, pyramidal caps, modern iron gates.
No longer in ecclesiastical use. Former Relief Church to the Cathcart Church in Fort Street (see separate list description). Cathcart Street (formerly St John's Street) provided access from Sandgate to the New Church in Fort Street. Marked as a warehouse on the 1961 Ordnance Survey map, the building has been converted to residential use and occupies a prominent corner-site, standing opposite Ayr Academy (see separate list description) on Fort Street. Gateway by William Come, 1929 now moved to Former Cathcart Church, Fort Street (information courtesy of Robert Close).
Other nearby listed buildings