History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1-3 Teviot Place, Edinburgh

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9458 / 55°56'44"N

Longitude: -3.1897 / 3°11'23"W

OS Eastings: 325792

OS Northings: 673170

OS Grid: NT257731

Mapcode National: GBR 8PJ.C2

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.ZT77

Plus Code: 9C7RWRW6+84

Entry Name: 1-3 Teviot Place, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 15-19 (Inclusive Numbers) Bristo Place and 2-3 Teviot Place, Edinburgh

Listing Date: 15 October 2001

Last Amended: 17 July 2015

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 405284

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48212

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Shop Tenement

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Possibly Robert Thornton Shiells, dated 1871. 4-storey and attic Scots Baronial corner tenement block with shops at ground; 4 bays and further 3-storey and attic 3-bay section to Bristo Place, 5 bays to Teviot Place, with gabled canted corner bay flanked by engaged tourelles. Coursed stugged sandstone with raised and polished dressings. Pilastered shops with painted continuous cornice and fascia at ground. Stepped string course at attic floor. Windows in stop-chamfered, tabbed surrounds. Long and short quoins.

NE (BRISTO PLACE) ELEVATION: 3-bay lower section to right: regularly fenestrated at 1st and 2nd floors; single window with pedimented dormer breaking eaves to outer right; paired windows in crowstepped and kneelered gable with apex stack to left. Carved panels between left and centre bays (see Notes). 3 bays to left regularly fenestrated; 3 single windows with pedimented dormers breaking eaves. Engaged tourelle with conical roof, weathervane and fish-scale slates to outer left. Canted corner bay with bipartite windows, chequer-set machicolation at 3rd floor, corbel table to attic floor and carved panel in kneelered gable (see Notes).

SE (TEVIOT PLACE) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors; bipartites to centre bay. Oriel with rope-work to corbel, long and short quoins and kneelered pediment with carved panel to attic to outer left with; engaged tourelle with candle-snuffer roof, weathervane and fish-scale slates to outer right; wallhead stack abutted by small crowstepped window in 2nd bay from left; 2 pedimented gabled dormerheads breaking eaves to centre.

Predominantly 4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates on double pitched roofs. Crowstepped skews. Corniced end, ridge and wallhead stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Interest

A large later 19th century Scots Baronial style corner tenement block with good carved stone details prominently sited to a corner and overlooking the open space of Bristo Square and the McEwan Hall beyond.

The tenements may be by the architect Robert Thornton Shiells (1833-1902) as it is recorded in the Dictionary of Scottish architects that he built a tenement with Shops on Teviot Row in 1872. These tenements are constructed on the site of the garden grounds of Darian House and city's poorhouse (Bedlam). The site was sold in 1870 to accommodate the requirements of the developing town and in 1871 the poorhouse buildings were demolished to make way for the new development.

The buildings were constructed as part of the Forrest Road, Teviot Place and Bristo Place development concurrent with the building of the New Medical School and the McEwan Hall in the later 19th century. The former Royal Infirmary was built around the same time as the redevelopment of Teviot Place so some of the shops on Teviot Place traded in medical equipment, books and clothing for the hospital and medical staff. The tradition is ongoing with some premises continuing to trade medical learning products (2011).

The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton's (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and a the new George IV Bridge). The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town. The groups of Baronial style tenement blocks on Forest Road and Teviot Place were built as a direct result of this development phase.

Carved panels to NE elevation with date AD 1871 and inscription: 'SITE OF THE DARIEN HOUSE BUILT 1698'; carved panels to canted corner: 1513 SITE OF TOWN WALL; motto 'VIGILANTIBUS NON DORMIENTIBUS' below carved phoenix.

(List description updated at re-survey 2011-12).

Statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '15-19 (inclusive nos) Bristo Place and 2-3 Teviot Place'.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.