This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.863 / 55°51'46"N
Longitude: -4.2346 / 4°14'4"W
OS Eastings: 260249
OS Northings: 665570
OS Grid: NS602655
Mapcode National: GBR 0QL.P0
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.XWQQ
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ78+55
Entry Name: Glasgow Cathedral, excluding scheduled monument SM90150, 70 Cathedral Square, Glasgow
Listing Name: Glasgow Cathedral, excluding scheduled monument SM90150, 70 Cathedral Square, Glasgow
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Last Amended: 30 June 2017
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 406811
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32654
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dennistoun
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Though surviving the Reformation in a virtually intact state, despite internal subdivision to form three parish churches, the cathedral had its most significant alteration in the 19th century. The two symmetrical towers flanking the west end were demolished 1846-8, and the great west window (first opened by David Hamilton in 1812) recast by Edward Blore. By the mid-19th century the interior was returned to its unified state with many new fittings, completing work begun in the choir by William Stark in 1805.
INTERIOR: Many very high quality monuments and tombs survive.
STAINED GLASS: between 1936 and 1967 the whole nave and choir were fitted out with stained glass windows by Scottish and British artists replacing the mid-19th century glass designed by the Royal Bavarian Stained Glass Company; only a few small lights from this scheme survive in the sacristy and southwest porch. A full description of the building history of the cathedral is found in the Official HMSO Guidebook.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: Cast-iron spearhead railings and coped walls define boundaries to graveyard. Many good tombs and monuments dating from the 17th century, some set into boundary walls.
In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM90150.
Ecclesiastical Building in use as such. Guardianship Monument. The cathedral is dedicated to St Kentigern or Mungo, his tomb is in the crypt. Statutory address and listed building record updated in 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings