This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0948 / 53°5'41"N
Longitude: -3.0804 / 3°4'49"W
OS Eastings: 327751
OS Northings: 355836
OS Grid: SJ277558
Mapcode National: GBR 72.927Y
Mapcode Global: WH77L.NGCS
Plus Code: 9C5R3WV9+WV
Entry Name: Trimley Hall
Listing Date: 14 February 1952
Last Amended: 23 February 1998
Source ID: 8
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated c1km NW of Ffrith, reached from a series of by-roads running W from the B5101.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Trimley Hall was built by John Eyton Jnr. of neighbouring Leeswood in the late 1630s. Both John Eyton and his father were prominent Royalists who served in the garrison at Denbigh. There is evidence that Trimley was made defensible at a time when many of the region’s gentry houses were being plundered or torched by General Mytton and his troops. The loss of the top floor of the building probably dates from the fighting of 1645. The date 1653, carved on the newel of a stair in the hall, probably records a phase of rebuilding and internal alteration after the Civil War. The family left the house c1707; Edward Llhwyd records ‘Thomas Eaton’ as the owner c1700. A tenant named Thomas Jones was in residence in 1757. No significant alterations have been made to the building since the late C17, and it is currently (1997) being used for agricultural storage.
Square-plan, sub-medieval, 2-storey gentry house with highly unusual massive central chimney creating the distinctive hipped roof. This design resulted from the 1653 remodelling, the earlier house having probably had a gabled attic storey in traditional manner. Built of local rubble stone with sandstone dressings under a slate roof; all-round high plinth, quoins and deep gable kneelers. 2, 3 and 4-light mullioned windows with moulded jambs throughout, some retain iron stanchions and some have been bricked up. On the principal E side there is a storied gabled porch with an offset entrance, this is now concealed by C20 agricultural additions.
The interior was largely inaccessible at the time of the 1997 survey. The plan form appears to survive unaltered and includes an unusual L-shaped hall around two sides of the central chimney which is said to have contained a similarly L-shaped dining table. The 'low', servants, end was unlit and unheated while the 'high' end for family and guests was both heated and lit. The hall retains a C19 oak chimneypiece with bracketed lintel. The ceiling is a later insertion with vertically-set joists. A dog-leg staircase, dated 1653, is situated at the NW corner. It has splat balusters and a newel with a tall, tapered finial. There is said to be a further staircase concealed around the central chimney but there is no evidence for this. The cellar has been filled in. The original oak front door is recorded as having (blocked) siege loops for musketry in it. Other recorded evidence includes Tudor-arched fireplaces in the attic testifying to a former upper storey and chamfered and stopped doorcases. Parlour to W, kitchen, buttery, and pantry to S, and an L-shaped upper-floor great chamber.
Listed grade II* for the exceptional interest of the surviving plan, largely unaltered fenestration, C17 interior features and historical associations of this important C17 gentry house.
Group value with Trimley Hall Barn.
Other nearby listed buildings