This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1065 / 53°6'23"N
Longitude: -3.0301 / 3°1'48"W
OS Eastings: 331138
OS Northings: 357086
OS Grid: SJ311570
Mapcode National: GBR 74.88GX
Mapcode Global: WH88R.F5BT
Plus Code: 9C5R4X49+JX
Entry Name: Rhydyn Hall
Listing Date: 7 February 1962
Last Amended: 6 May 1998
Source ID: 34
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Overloking the the river Alyn to the E, on the line of Wat's Dyke, approximately 0.5km E of Caergwrle village centre; accessed via an unmetalled lane running S from the road.
Community: Hope (Yr Hob)
Locality: Bridge End
Built-Up Area: Hope
Traditional County: Flintshire
Early C18 double-pile house with adjoining late Regency block encapsulating an earlier range. The house is mentioned in 1699 as belonging to a Thomas Williams; Pennant (1770s) ascribes its ownership to Sir Stephen Glynne (of Broadlane Hall, Hawarden). The late Regency remodelling was carried out for Richard Golightly Esq following a partial fire; decorators' graffiti dated July 18th 1839 records the completion of the work. Some further, minor alterations were carried out c1900 at which period Rhydyn Hall was developed into a popular spa and hotel.
Stone storied house of two adjoining 3-bay sections; the earlier, to the L, is a double-pile block of 3 stories, while that to the R is of two floors, rising to the same height. Both are roughcast with quoins and cill bands expressed in render. Slate roofs, those to primary section with stone-coped and kneelered gable parapets, decorative tiled ridges and plain brick end chimneys; stone-coped parapet and large, rendered central stack to later block. The primary section has a symmetrical facade with central entrance via a C19 single-storey Tuscan porch; moulded cornice with plain entablature. The door is original (early C18), of 6 panels, the upper four shaped and fielded, the lower two blind. Original windows to all floors; these are wooden cross windows to the ground and first floors and 2-light wooden mullioned windows to the second. Projecting stone cills and small-pane glazing throughout. Elegant 12-pane, unhorned, recessed C19 sashes to the later range on both floors.
Similar upper floor windows to the rear elevation of the primary block, with tall C19 8-pane French windows to the ground and first, the latter with C19 swept lead canopies. The ground floor is raised above a basement and gives onto a stone-built terrace with fine cast-iron verandah, an addition of c1839. This is supported on tapering columns and has open-work balustrading; there is a similar balustrade to an upper balcony onto which the first-floor windows open. The later block has a large tripartite French window to its raised ground floor with a swept lead canopy; a flight of 10 steps (7 and 3) descends from this to the ground level. To the R, at the junction with the earlier block is an early C18 lead downpipe, its hopper bearing an heraldic crest in relief. Early C20 6-pane casements to the ground floor at L (in C19 openings) and original 12-pane sashes to first floor L as before. To the R, above the French window, is an original tripartite sash window with a 12-pane central section flanked by narrow 4-pane sections. On the later wing's N side is a further C18 drainpipe with heraldic hopper as before.
Adjoining the southern twin-gabled end of the primary block is a contemporary full-height closet tower with modern casements to three floors. Adjoining the N end of the later block is a single-storey service extension, set back from the front elevation and flush with the rear; this has a slated roof and plain end chimney, with C20 windows in C19 openings and a front entrance to its raised ground floor. Cellar entrance to the gable side, accessed via a small lower court with exposed well.
Entrance hall to primary range with raised and fielded panels to deep window reveals. An original stair ascends to the R of the hall and has a depressed wooden arched opening beneath its open string leading to a service corridor; simply-moulded architrave and projecting key. The stair is a fine oak dog-leg in untouched condition and has turned balusters, scrolled tread-ends and a swept rail; triple-baluster compound newels. The stair climbs through three floors with balustraded landings to the first and second; quarter-turn to the bottom flight. A 6-panel door with plain architrave leads off hall to former parlour on ground floor; this has a Regency panelled architrave to its inner face with rosette decoration. Plain panelled reveals and shutters to windows with architraves as before. Similar door and architraves to further ground-floor rear room with panelled shutters to large French window, tall ceiling and simply-moulded cornice; simple white marble fireplace, all c1839. The first-floor has a fully-panelled front room with large-field early C18 panels, panelled reveals and 6-panel raised-and-fielded door (relocated to a later dividing partition); simple Regency fireplace with iron grate. Deeply-panelled reveals and further original door to rear room; plain closet rooms lead off from main rooms on both upper floors, those to the second with original 6-panelled doors. Further raised and fielded panelled doors to second floor, with moulded architraves. The newer block has a plain stick baluster landing to a Regency back stair, constructed around a central masonry column.
Listed Grade II* for its special architectural interest as an early C18 gentry house with good surviving interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings