History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cernioge Farmhouse (Cerniogau-mawr)

A Grade II Listed Building in Pentrefoelas, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0397 / 53°2'22"N

Longitude: -3.6331 / 3°37'58"W

OS Eastings: 290603

OS Northings: 350404

OS Grid: SH906504

Mapcode National: GBR 6B.DKZD

Mapcode Global: WH66D.5V7L

Entry Name: Cernioge Farmhouse (Cerniogau-mawr)

Listing Date: 31 January 1952

Last Amended: 19 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 67

Building Class: Domestic

Location: The farmhouse lies near the village of Glasfryn, at the E edge of the community, and is set back at an angle to the road, with its farm buildings set apart to the W.

County: Conwy

Town: Pentrefoelas

Community: Pentrefoelas

Community: Pentrefoelas

Locality: Cernioge

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Pentrefoelas

History

Probably largely early C19. Cernioge was a property with early associations with the Price family, and became a hostelry well-known as a stopping point for coaches and place to change horses along the Holyhead Road. It features as a staging point on the milestones erected c1821. Although early occupants are recorded, including Robert Wynn, and Gethin ap Maurice in the early C16, the first recorded licence for an alehouse here is one granted to Ann Rowlands in 1772, for £10. In 1823 at the time of the re-engineering of the road under Thomas Telford, the alehouse keeper was Job Weaver, and the building probably dates from this time. There was stabling for 69 horses during the height of the coaching era, reputedly the best to be had. Princess Victoria stopped for tea here in 1832 on her way to Beaumaris, when a harpist played music from the porch roof. The earlier house lay to the ESE of the present building, of which blocked up cellars are said to remain.

Exterior

Built of local stone rubble with slated roofs. Two storeys and attic, 3 bays and unusually tall. Central added porch with glazed doors set under a lintel of radial voussoirs with an arched soffit. Large 16-pane sash windows to both floors in openings with cambered heads, the soffit arris chamfered. Gable stacks. The rear and W gable end are rendered. Two parallel rear wings at right angles to the front block, the western with a gable stack and lean-to, divided by a large raking buttress. Modern sash windows.

Interior

The interior is said to be altered.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an historically significant hostelry on the Holyhead Road, and a building retaining good external character of the early C19.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Stable building at Cernioge
    The building lies opposite Cernioge farm, and is set at an angle to the Holyhead Road, at the start of a farm road to Cwrt-y-llyn.
  • II Stable Building at Bryn-heilyn
    The farm lies along a farm track between the Cwm Llwm Road N of Rhydlydan and Cwrt-y-llyn. The stable faces the farmhouse across the road.
  • II Bryn-heilyn
    Bryn-Heilyn is located 650m down a farm road which branches off the Cwm Llwm Road NE of Rhydlydan. It is set on a sloping site, with stable opposite and farm yard to the E.
  • II Former farmhouse at Penrhyn
    Penrhyn lies 600m S of Rhydlydan, and is accessed by a farm road leading off the road to Bala.
  • II Pont Rhydlydan
    The bridge is in the middle of the hamlet of Rhydlydan, carrying the S road to Pentrefoelas over the Afon Merddwr.
  • II Hafod y Maidd Farmhouse including attached farm building at the W end
    The farmhouse stands at the top of a farm road, approximately 400m due N of Glasfryn, and forms the SW side of the farmyard, with a return at the W end.
  • II Barn and Carthouse opposite Hafod y Maidd including attached pigsties
    Hafod y Maidd farm lies approximately 400m due N of Glasfryn village. The farm building forms the N side of the large farmyard on the N side of the house. The pigsties are attached at the W end, for
  • II Carthouse at Hafod y Maidd
    Hafod y Maidd farm is located approximately 400m due N of Glasfryn. The carthouse stands at right angles, to the N of the earlier farmbuildings around the yard, and faces E over the driftway to the f

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.