This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1164 / 53°6'58"N
Longitude: -3.7787 / 3°46'43"W
OS Eastings: 281049
OS Northings: 359165
OS Grid: SH810591
Mapcode National: GBR 65.7LL4
Mapcode Global: WH65X.XXST
Plus Code: 9C5R468C+GG
Entry Name: Plas Tirion
Listing Date: 23 June 1967
Last Amended: 11 August 1997
Source ID: 109
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Prominently and imposingly sited, raised up slightly above the main Llanrwst-Betws-y-Coed road, and set back from it; accessed via a farm track running E from the road and sited across a hillslope.
Community: Bro Garmon
Community: Bro Garmon
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Large late C16 storeyed house of manorial scale and quality, originally conceived as an E-plan. One of a small number of gentry satelite houses built locally in the second half of the C16 for junior branches or members of the Wynn family of Gwydir; others include Berth Ddu and Cae Melwr. Interior cosmetic alterations appear to have been carried out between 1626 and 1628 for Robert Wynn and his wife Katherine; Robert (d.1640) was High Sheriff of Denbighshire in 1618. Five heraldic plasterwork overmantles dating from this intervention survive, together with some contemporary small-field panelling, some of which has been repositioned. Contemporary correspondance reveals that Richard Wynn, (subsequently Sir Richard, the fourth Gwydir baronet) was living here in the years 1657-9. In 1658 he served as High Sheriff of Caernarvonshire; the following year he took part in the Royalist revolt known as Booth's Rebellion, in association with his father in law Sir Thomas Middleton of Chirk. The left-hand cross-wing is missing and was either never constructed (although clearly intended), or, more probably, it was demolished before the late C19. Further, minor alterations at the end of the C17 included the creation of a fine wig closet in the first-floor porch room. Restoration works of c1837 (dated agricultural range) included some modification to window openings and some interior rejustification which involved the repositioning of some panelling.
Large storeyed, gabled house of rubble construction with rough-cast render above ground-floor level. Slate roofs with plain gables and tall stone stacks; original moulded capping and weathercoursing. F-plan (though formerly E-plan) with projecting 3-storey gabled crosswing at R of 2-storey main block; the balancing wing to the L is missing. 3-storey gabled porch with segmental arch to cyclopean stone lintel; fine original heavy oak studded door within, with contemporary ironwork and ovolo-moulded doorframe. Irregular windows with C20 wooden-framed glazing and c1840 recessed slate lintels with labels to otherwise mostly original openings; cellar light to L section. Projecting gabled end chimney to rear of cross-wing with full-height gabled stair tower to R; adjoining this a C19 one-and-a-half storey catslide roof extension. Beyond, to the R, two original 4-light ovolo-moulded mullioned windows, one to the ground and one to the first floors, with plain glazing. The SE side has a further, single-storey gabled porch with round-headed entrance; oak frame with modern door. Within, an original studded oak door with ironwork and moulded frame as before. Adjoining the porch to the L is a straight flight of slate steps leading to a first-floor entrance, a C19 alteration; boarded door. To the R of the porch a C19 20-pane sash window to the ground floor with a 16-pane sash above. A former first-floor lateral chimney is implied above the present porch by a blocked fireplce to the first floor chamber.
Small hall (reduced by C19 partitioning) with relocated C17 small-field panelling as draught screen to R of entrance. Plasterwork decoration above fireplace (opening reduced) with raised monograms R W K (for Robert and Katherine Wynn); built-in C17 panelled cupboard to R of fireplace, plastered stopped-chamfered beams. Small parlour beyond to R with similar ceiling and evidence of a former partition to the R (removed this century). Large fireplace (reduced to L) with Tudor-arched, stopped-chamfered bressummer and good heraldic plasterwork overmantel with date 1626 and initials as before. To the L of the fireplace a second-quarter C18 soft-wood built-in cupboard; shaped tops to fielded panelled doors. Beneath this section is a cellar, now filled in. Further wide firelace with chamfered bressummer and ceiling beams as before to former kitchen in cross-wing. Simple c1700 segmental arched opening to original closed well stair, built around a central masonry pier; contemporary large-field panelling.
Original random-width oak floorboards to first floor and attic, with C17 small-field panelled doors or c1700 2-panel (raised and fielded) doors to all first-floor rooms. The main first-floor chamber (originally the great chamber) has been reduced by the insertion of two partitions, one modern and the other, opposite the stair access, a probable C19 insertion; this now forms a corridor and appears to be made up of sections of a primary post-and-panel partition, with grooved decoration to the posts. C17 small-field panelling to the chamber proper, including a panelled window seat. Very fine large heraldic plaster overmantel with central arms and date 1628 within a strapwork cartouche; flanking classical pilasters support niched personifications of War and Peace; C19 grate. Beyond the modern partition, an original C16 timber-framed partition wall, partly obscured by further small-field panelling; 2 original openings (now blocked) with ogee-arched heads. Above the porch, a small chamber adapted as a wig closet in the later C17; panelled cupboards with original iron door-furniture flank a central entrance with panelled double doors, contemporary hinges and lock. Two further plaster overmantles in chambers to the NW, one with geometric decoration, the other, smaller one with date. The stair continues to the attic floor with original treads and risers and in unaltered condition. Huge stopped-chamfered collar trusses with original purlins; repair date 1836 cut into roof plaster. Original oak pegged doorcase to 3-bay crosswing; small fireplace in front corner. Plain upper porch chamber with partly renewed roof.
Included at Grade II* for its special historic interest as an important sub-medieval gentry house with fine surviving C17 interior plasterwork and panelling; one of the finest buildings of this type in the region.
Other nearby listed buildings