This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1137 / 53°6'49"N
Longitude: -3.7739 / 3°46'25"W
OS Eastings: 281367
OS Northings: 358859
OS Grid: SH813588
Mapcode National: GBR 65.7V1R
Mapcode Global: WH65Y.0Z6V
Entry Name: Hendre House
Listing Date: 23 June 1967
Last Amended: 11 August 1997
Source ID: 113
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Strikingly located on a wooded slope on the E side of the Conwy valley; accessed via a long wooded drive leading S from an unclassified upper lane running parallel with the A470 and running SE towards
Community: Bro Garmon
Community: Bro Garmon
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Late Georgian villa-scale house c1815, with additions of the later C19. A Thomas Blackwell of Hendre, Llanrwst is noted as a local landowner on the 1839 Tithe Map.
Elegant 2-storey house, originally of square plan, with a storeyed L-shaped service wing adjoining to the rear; later additions. Rubble construction, formerly stuccoed, with moulded sandstone cornice and hipped slate roofs; 2 central chimneys with moulded capping and 2 further, plain service chimneys to rear. Symmetrical 3-bay entrance front with fine Tuscan open porch to central entrance; dentilated cornice, three stone steps. Recessed 6-panel door, the upper 4 panels raised and fielded, with rectangular overlight, currently boarded (January 1997). Flanking 12-pane (?) recessed sash windows, also boarded; within arched recesses with slightly-projecting archrings above roughly-dressed voussoirs. Original 9-pane recessed sash windows to first floor. 2-bay NW side with full-height segmental bow to R and recessed window to L, as before. The bow has two windows to each floor, as before. 2-window SE side with late C19 single-storey, flat-roofed rectangular bay addition to the L; cornice as before and twin boarded sashes. A contemporary additional one-window bay adjoins flush with the main block to the R; similar windows and iron railings around steps to basement access. Rear adjoining service wing with 9-and 12-(?) pane windows as before, and a plain boarded door with overlight. Large tripartite window to SE where the eastern arm of the block advances to form a small court, open to this side; further entrance in the W angle.
The interior was not inspected at the time of survey (January 1997), but is reported to have a large, built-in pipe organ.
Listed for its special interest as an elegant late Georgian villa retaining good external character in its original landscaped setting.
Group value with other listed items at Hendre House.
Other nearby listed buildings