History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orchard Wall at Berthymaen Farm

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llanasa, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3159 / 53°18'57"N

Longitude: -3.3143 / 3°18'51"W

OS Eastings: 312541

OS Northings: 380693

OS Grid: SJ125806

Mapcode National: GBR 5Z93.81

Mapcode Global: WH76B.2X1B

Plus Code: 9C5R8M8P+97

Entry Name: Orchard Wall at Berthymaen Farm

Listing Date: 6 November 1962

Last Amended: 30 April 2001

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 300

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the SE side of the farmhouse and on the opposite side of the road.

County: Flintshire

Community: Llanasa

Community: Llanasa

Locality: Trelogan

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Talacre

History

Built in 1643 (date above doorway) possibly contemporary with the farmhouse and probably always intended to enclose an orchard. It was still in use as an orchard by the time of the 1871 Ordnance Survey. Berthymaen was the home of the Parry family for many generations before it became a part of the Mostyn Estate.

Exterior

An irregular shaped orchard on a sloping site, the walls of which are up to 2m high, of rubble stone with larger copings. The N side is sinuous and follows the line of the road, while the E wall and long SW side, in 2 facets, are irregular. On the N side, facing the road and the house, is a doorway with a Tudor head, above which is '1643 EP' (signifying a member of the Parry family) in raised letters. The internal faces (except the SW side) have continuous horizontal grooves, into which wooden battens were originally inserted for fixing fruit trees. The wall is breached on the NE side.

Reasons for Listing

Listed grade II* as an exceptionally early orchard wall retaining its original door, and for its contribution to the historic character of the farm.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Barn with attached cart shed at Berthymaen
    On the SW side of the house.
  • II* Berthymaen
    On the W side of a minor road on the NE side of Trelogan.
  • II Trelogan Hall
    An isolated house on the N side of Trelogan, set back on the NW side of a minor road junction leading to Berthymaen.
  • II Stealey Cottage
    An isolated house set back from the N side of a minor road between Trelogan and Tre Mostyn.
  • II Moss Side
    Set back on the S side of the minor road between Trelogan and Tre Mostyn and on the E side of a small quarry.
  • II Gorse Cottage
    On the S side of the minor road between Trelogan and Tre Mostyn, and W of a small quarry.
  • II Yr Hen Dafarn
    On the S side of the minor road between Trelogan and Tre Mostyn, and W of a small quarry.
  • II ,14,Glanyrafon Cottages,Glanyrafon,Holywell,,CH8 9BL
    At the E end of Glanyrafon, and set back from the road behind a walled garden.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.