This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3163 / 53°18'58"N
Longitude: -3.315 / 3°18'53"W
OS Eastings: 312494
OS Northings: 380731
OS Grid: SJ124807
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z92.3X
Mapcode Global: WH76B.1XQ2
Entry Name: Berthymaen
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 14887
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the W side of a minor road on the NE side of Trelogan.
Traditional County: Flintshire
An orchard wall S of the house is dated 1643, the date repeated on a cement-rendered panel added to the parlour wing of the house. But the house may have been built earlier in the C17. It was for many generations the home of the Parry family. It probably originally consisted of hall and parlour, but a parlour wing was subsequently added and the original parlour was converted to a kitchen. An attached secondary dwelling was added at the rear probably in the latter half of the C17. The house later became a part of the Mostyn Estate. In the third quarter of the C19, and shown on the 1871 Ordnance Survey, a lower wing was added, while the gable end of the parlour wing was possibly rebuilt. The fenestration was also altered in at least 3 phases. Mullioned windows were infilled and new windows were inserted under wooden lintels, dressed stone lintels and finally brick segmental heads, with small-pane casements and horizontal-sliding sash windows. These were replaced late C20.
A 2-storey house with T-shaped plan, of rubble stone with a slate roof behind coped gables. It has a lateral stack to the rear of the kitchen, and end stacks to the R and to the parlour wing. Windows are all 2-light casements replaced in earlier openings. The SE elevation has a parlour wing to the centre. To its R is a segmental-headed hall window in the lower storey and stone-lintelled window above it. Set back on the R side of the parlour wing is a pebble-dashed lean-to porch with boarded door, with casement window above. The gable end of the wing has stone-lintelled windows in both storeys, between which is a cement tablet inscribed with the date 1643. The L-hand return wall of the wing has blocked 2-light mullioned windows lower and upper R and a blocked window in a dressed surround upper L. A small dressed stair light is in the angle with the L side of the main range. This has a moulded lintel to a boarded door, with 2-light mullioned overlight, and a first-floor window under a wedge lintel.
A lower C19 wing added to the L gable end has a brick-segmental-headed window lower R. Its rear wall is 2-window, with segmental heads in the lower storey. Behind the wing the gable end of the main range has a blocked, formerly mullioned kitchen window, and a lintelled window above. The rear of the main range is dominated by the external kitchen stack R of centre. To its R is wood-lintelled window, and on the L side an inserted glazed door and segmental-headed window. In the upper storey are 2 stone-lintelled windows.
At right angles at the L end is a lower 2-storey secondary dwelling, projecting beyond the R gable end of the main range. It is rubble stone with renewed slate roof and tall end stack to the R. Its front, facing the rear of the main house has a C17 lintelled head to a boarded door, a blocked small window to the R in a dressed stone surround, and segmental-headed window to the L. Further L is a blocked 2-light mullioned window, below a similar window in the upper storey. Its L-hand gable end has a blocked upper-storey window under a C17 lintel, but partly obscured by an added stable set back against the gable end, which has a rubble-stone wall with barred opening, and brick gable end. Openings were cut into the rear of the secondary dwelling in the C19, which is now the front of the building and is beneath a canopy with corrugated asbestos-cement roof. It has a boarded door to the L and segmental-headed window R of centre. The former stable has a brick wall with wide full-height opening.
The plan is unusual as the main doorway opens into a stair hall, which has an early staircase with moulded hand rail, polygonal newel and replaced plain balusters. A passage leads to the hall at the R end. This has a wide fireplace under a stone segmental head. The joist-beam ceiling is similar to the kitchen, with roll-moulded beams and broach stops. The kitchen has a lateral, ovolo-moulded stone fireplace. The parlour has ovolo-moulded beams with ogee stops. Its fireplace has ovolo mouldings to the stone jambs and the lintel projecting on brackets.
Listed grade II*, notwithstanding alteration to exterior detail, as an especially well-preserved C17 house with attached secondary dwelling, retaining early plan form and detail, and as the centrepiece of a farm of exceptional historic character.
Other nearby listed buildings