This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2087 / 53°12'31"N
Longitude: -3.2665 / 3°15'59"W
OS Eastings: 315514
OS Northings: 368712
OS Grid: SJ155687
Mapcode National: GBR 6T.1YWK
Mapcode Global: WH76X.SLQZ
Plus Code: 9C5R6P5M+FC
Entry Name: Penbedw Uchaf, including attached garden wall
Listing Date: 6 November 1962
Last Amended: 30 August 2002
Source ID: 310
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 1.5km SW of Nannerch village, reached by farm road on the S side of a minor road between Nannerch and Llandyrnog. The house faces S with farm buildings to the N, pond to the S and orchar
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built in 1652 (date on building). A later C17 service wing was perhaps originally a secondary dwelling and may originally have been freestanding, but it was subsequently attached to the house with the incorporation of an unusual through passage.
A 2½-storey house comprising a 2-unit main range with SE service wing incorporating a former through passage attached to the R side, forming an L-shaped plan. Walls are mainly whitened rubble stone, the roof is slate. The main range has a brick stack L of centre (the original hall stack to the R has been removed). The near symmetrical 4-window SE front has 3-light ovolo-moulded mullioned windows, with hood moulds in the lower storey (stops are partly missing). The lower-storey window R of centre has mullions replaced in wood. The doorway is offset R of centre and has a Tudor head with low-relief ferns in the spandrels, and jambs with 2 orders of ovolo moulding. Above the spandrels it is dated 1652 in raised numerals. It has a late C19 boarded and studded door but retains an original C17 strap hinge with chased ornament. The L-hand angle has brick quoins.
The L gable end has a C20 inserted segmental-headed window with brick dressings and casements. The rear, formerly a lean-to, has been raised to a second storey with rendered wall under a shallow gabled roof, with C20 fenestration. In the rendered R (NE) gable end of the house the windows are offset to the L. In the lower storey is a 3-light window with wooden ovolo mullions but otherwise retaining its original dressed-stone surround. Above it is an inserted or enlarged 2-light casement.
The SE service wing projects in front of the NE gable end of the main range. The entrance to the passage is supported on 2 monolithic Tuscan columns, which now form an open porch to an inserted door. Above it, the upper storey has been rebuilt and has a 2-light window. Further L, the service wing has 2 small casements in the upper storey and an added external blockwork stack further L. In the gable end of the wing is a former inserted garage doorway in the lower storey now infilled and converted to a window, with inserted window above and a small attic window. In the side wall facing the front of the house are 3 inserted windows in the lower storey, a casement upper R and an upper-storey doorway to the L. The former passage further L has been enclosed with French doors and flanking windows, and the upper storey is rebuilt with inserted windows.
A C17 S rubble-stone garden wall is attached to the SW corner of the service wing and continues across the front of the house where it abuts the granary. It has 2 beeboles, and narrow loop. At the W end is an inserted gateway in dressed stone.
The original hall on the R side of the main range retains a timber lintel to its fireplace, now concealed behind wood panelling around the walls salvaged from Penbedw (demolished 1958). A joist-beam ceiling with bar and run-out stops is retained. The parlour has boxed beams and replaced fireplace. In the upper storey the room above the hall has a corbelled fireplace with ovolo moulding and moulded cornice. Above the mantel, in raised letters and numerals, is '1655 HPM', and therefore a slightly later insertion to the original house. A single queen-post truss is visible. Above the through passage is a second stone fireplace with ovolo moulding and moulded cornice. The service wing has a single queen-post truss visible, with joist holes for an attic floor. In the lower storey is evidence of a former lateral fireplace with bread oven, although this is not discernible from the exterior.
Listed grade II* as an especially well-preserved C17 house retaining fine external and internal detail, and especially notable for its unusual through passage linking the house with its service range. The house stands at the centre of an impressive farm group with its garden wall, granary and barn.
Other nearby listed buildings