This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1657 / 53°9'56"N
Longitude: -3.143 / 3°8'34"W
OS Eastings: 323679
OS Northings: 363780
OS Grid: SJ236637
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.4K12
Mapcode Global: WH775.PPHH
Plus Code: 9C5R5V84+7Q
Entry Name: Bethesda Welsh Presbyterian Chapel and Schoolroom
Listing Date: 29 June 1981
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source ID: 391
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set back from the street behind railed forecourt on corner of entry to Ambrose Lloyd car park from New Street.
Community: Mold (Yr Wyddgrug)
Built-Up Area: Mold
Traditional County: Flintshire
The chapel had two notable members, the novellist Daniel Owen (who based much of his work on events there), and Professor Ellis Edwards, Bala.
1863 by W W Gwyther of London on site of an earlier chapel of 1819. Grand 2 storey, classical 5 bay ashlar front on plinth. Tetrastyle corinthian pedimented portico with flanking panelled bays. Moulded architrave, plain frieze and dentil cornice to entablature, blocking course, pitched slate roof behind. Broad steps set between pedestals bearing elaborate iron gas-lamp posts.
Flanking staircase bays returned 1 bay to sides. 2 order recessed panels with channelled end pilasters. Tilting windows with side bars, plain reveals. Sunk panels to aprons and above 1st floor windows. Consoled labels to panelled double entrance doors on flanks.
6 bay squared rubble side elevations. Plain cornice. Round arched windows to gallery, square headed below; plain architraves, side bars. Gabled rear, raking parapets on kneelers, vent at apex. Organ chamber advanced to form lower gable containing re-sited tablet from earlier chapel of 1819.
single storey gabled extensions of 1893 adjoin at right angle. Kitchen, library and schoolroom; contemporary fittings. Small ante room gives access to chapel.
Rectangular galleried interior with classical detail. Coffered ceiling, central rose (later?). Raked gallery, curved panelled front, bracketed and carried on cast iron columns. Roll moulded round arch on consoles to organ chamber. Good organ case of 1905 with mixture of gothic and classical detail.
Fine great seat with lugged panels between fluted pilasters. 3 well carved and coloured panels featuring wheat and grapes to pulpit. Stone stairs behind panelled partitions to lobbies.
Other nearby listed buildings