This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2764 / 53°16'35"N
Longitude: -3.2415 / 3°14'29"W
OS Eastings: 317309
OS Northings: 376214
OS Grid: SJ173762
Mapcode National: GBR 5ZTK.06
Mapcode Global: WH76K.5XN2
Plus Code: 9C5R7QG5+H9
Entry Name: Agricultural Range to south side of the Framyard at the Grange
Listing Date: 24 February 1976
Last Amended: 19 August 1991
Source ID: 514
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: The Grange farmhouse is situated at the top end of the lane, reached S from the Holyway area. This building is to SW of the modern farmhouse; faces N.
Community: Holywell (Treffynnon)
Built-Up Area: Holywell
Traditional County: Flintshire
This was originally a monastic grange to the Cistercian Abbey of Basingwerk and was then known as Over Grange meaning that it was was the higher or upper one; it continued as a farm after the dissolution in 1536. This building has late medieval open hall origins and was then the main grange house; it may all date from the period when Nicholas Pennant (Abbot 1529-36) "made a new close in the mountains" or alternatively the projecting bay at the W end may be a postdissolution improvement as was the addition of the later C16 stone chimneypiece. At a later date the loft was carried across the whole building; some subsequent alterations.
L-plan, type A, rubble, 2-storey building with modern corrugated roof. 3-bays to left with blocked buttresses to front and rear. The projecting bay has crucifix finial and loft window over a large Tudor window of 3-lights - now blocked with rubble above the former central transom; the sandstone dressings of the surround remain outlining the original opening; segmental headed lights with cavetto jambs and straight chamfered mullions; small-pane glazing; formerly painted. The original entrance has been blocked - now entered from the W end.
Graded II* as a rare surviving example of a monastic grange that retains substantial original fabric.
Other nearby listed buildings