This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1359 / 53°8'9"N
Longitude: -3.0659 / 3°3'57"W
OS Eastings: 328785
OS Northings: 360386
OS Grid: SJ287603
Mapcode National: GBR 72.6KRF
Mapcode Global: WH77D.WF6T
Plus Code: 9C5R4WPM+8J
Entry Name: Coach-house and Stables to NE of Hartsheath
Listing Date: 10 April 1980
Last Amended: 12 September 2001
Source ID: 539
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in the landscape park, at end of track to NE of Hartsheath Hall.
Community: Leeswood and Pontblyddyn
Traditional County: Flintshire
Built in 1825 to the designs of Charles James Mathews as part of his improvements on the Hartsheath Estate for the Welsh Iron and Coal Mining Company. An extremely elegant building it is highly likely that the stables were constructed not only as a functional building but were also intended as an ornament within the landscape park. It is possible that the central block of the stables dates from an earlier building phase and that Mathews added the colonnade and flanking pavilions.
L-shaped range of buildings; the range to the E being a separate later Saw Mill and cottage. Split-level stables of one and two storeys, stone with moulded stone eaves cornice and slate hipped roofs. E, front, elevation consists of central stone rubble stables fronted by 9-bay, open Greek Doric Colonnade of massive stuccoed shafts with brown stone capital mouldings. Colonnade floor of pebble sets; rear wall of coloured washed rubble. Each end of the colonnade is terminated by a higher flanking pavilion. That to the left containing the coach house, that to the right loose boxes. The end pavilions are faced partly in dressed stone; hipped slate roofs; 2 arched recesses in each front wall; in the return wall of the S pavilion there 2 more arched recesses with doors and stone blocked tympana. W, rear elevation with various windows including to upper floor a number of wooden barred openings. Stone bridge gives access to upper floor entry at S end. Range of 4 pigsties attached to yard elevation of E range.
Number of later C19 loose boxes, with iron wall feeders. 1 stall contains early C19 wooden screen with 3 arches defining individual stalls probably for hunters. Access to heated accommodation in upper floor via wooden staircase.
Listed grade II* as a very good example of an architecturally distinguished and well preserved stable complex and for group value with Hartsheath Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings