This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3388 / 53°20'19"N
Longitude: -3.3473 / 3°20'50"W
OS Eastings: 310390
OS Northings: 383283
OS Grid: SJ103832
Mapcode National: GBR 5Y2T.3V
Mapcode Global: WH769.KB8Q
Plus Code: 9C5R8MQ3+G3
Entry Name: Riding school & stable at Talacre Abbey
Listing Date: 2 April 1987
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 559
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To the SW of the house and set into the bank of the main approach road.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Talacre Abbey was built 1824-9 by Thomas Jones, architect of Chester, replacing an earlier house on the site. The Riding School is contemporary with the house and is also by Jones. A 3-stage octagonal tower incorporating a dovecote is enclosed by a single-storey outer octagon that appears to be later but is shown on the 1839 Tithe map.
Comprising a 3-stage central octagonal tower enclosed by an outer single-storey octagon. Of ashlar with slate roof, the roof of the outer octagon concealed behind a parapet with moulded coping, the central tower with an embattled parapet and a wooden cupola with slatted openings and weathervane. In the upper stage the tower has 3-light windows incorporating hexagonal and diamond panes, alternating with blind windows. The outer octagon has a doorway with wood-mullioned overlight facing the house to the NE. The other facets have, to the R, a 4-light window with wooden mullions, a doorway with 3-pane overlight, a doorway, a doorway with 3-pane overlight and double stable doors, a window with mullions missing (and blockwork piers supporting a small water tank), double half-lit doors with 3-pane overlight, and a 4-light mullioned window.
The central tower has 3 doorways, of which one is blocked and has a segmental head. The other facets have blocked former openings in chamfered surrounds, two retaining iron bars, that fed mangers that survive immediately inside the openings. In the centre of the lower stage is a wooden tethering post. The upper stage has a brick inner wall with nesting holes and stone ledges.
The outer octagon has a roof with posts and raking struts, all with iron bolts. In the outer wall are round-backed niches. Inserted brick cross walls have divided the outer projection into 3 units, which have machine bases in the floor.
Listed grade II* for architectural interest as an exceptionally fine country house stable and riding school, and as an important component of the landscape park and pleasure grounds at Talacre Abbey.
Other nearby listed buildings