This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3377 / 53°20'15"N
Longitude: -3.348 / 3°20'52"W
OS Eastings: 310337
OS Northings: 383160
OS Grid: SJ103831
Mapcode National: GBR 5Y1V.Y7
Mapcode Global: WH769.JCXL
Plus Code: 9C5R8MQ2+3Q
Entry Name: St Benedict's Lodge
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 25100
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 200m SW of Talacre Abbey, on the SE side of the main driveway to the house from Gronant.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Talacre Abbey was built 1824-9 by Thomas Jones, architect, for Sir Edward Mostyn, on the site of an earlier house. Jones also designed a number of estate buildings, including the Home Farm, and probably also designed St Benedict's Lodge, which is shown on the 1839 Tithe map. It stood at the end of a long drive from the SE of the park, of which adjacent gate piers remain, but the corresponding gate piers and lodge at the SE end of the park are ruinous.
A single-storey former lodge nearly square in plan, of tooled coursed stone (painted white) and a pyramidal roof of graded slates, with projecting eaves and central paired stone stack. The roof projects on thin iron posts, creating a covered verandah around the front and L side of the house. Openings, all beneath the eaves, are boarded up. To the front is a central doorway with flanking windows. The L side wall has 2 windows and a doorway to the rear in a projecting rear wing with hipped roof. This wing has a single side window and 2 windows to the rear. Behind the main house is a projecting lean-to with single rear window. The R side wall of the lodge has 2 windows.
Listed as the best-preserved of the lodges at Talacre Abbey, and and as an integral component of the landscape park associated with Talacre Abbey.
Other nearby listed buildings