This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.931 / 52°55'51"N
Longitude: -3.0546 / 3°3'16"W
OS Eastings: 329208
OS Northings: 337584
OS Grid: SJ292375
Mapcode National: GBR 73.MGHC
Mapcode Global: WH89J.1LPD
Entry Name: Trevor House
Listing Date: 4 January 1966
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 617
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house stands back in its own grounds facing extensive views over the Ceiriog Valley to the S, and approached by a driveway from the road.
Community: Chirk (Y Waun)
Built-Up Area: Chirk
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The house was probably the substantial house known as Plas Iva, first mentioned in 1660 when an assessment was raised on it to fund a new militia. The present building may incorporate an earlier building, as the ground floor front wall stands proud of the upper floor. The rear of the house appears to date from the C17, built of timber framing, probably by the Myddleton family although in the township of Brynkinallt. The present front (S) block was altered and enlarged in 1840 probably by Richard Jebb, the agent to the Myddleton estate.
Timber framing at the rear with a slate roof, the later extension forming the present frontage of stone and rendered. The original timber framed building forms an irregular L'-plan, with some exposed framing surviving on the rear wing, now containing service rooms, and at the rear of the front block. The front elevation is of 2 storeys, 3 wide bays, with the entrance, a c1950's glazed door under a curved canopy on ladder supports. Four-paned C19 sash windows each side and over the door. A single storey sun lounge has been made at the W end, still with framing on its back wall. Rendered brick stacks.
The front door leads to a stair hall, with main reception rooms either side, and services in the rear wing.
Included as an important house within the Conservation area of Chirk, and one which has an interesting history in the area.
Other nearby listed buildings