This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9316 / 52°55'53"N
Longitude: -3.0542 / 3°3'14"W
OS Eastings: 329238
OS Northings: 337654
OS Grid: SJ292376
Mapcode National: GBR 73.M8MJ
Mapcode Global: WH89J.1KXX
Entry Name: Trevor Mausoleum in churchyard of the Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 July 1998
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 20208
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The mausoleum is located in the burial ground extension, 90m E of the chancel of the church.
Community: Chirk (Y Waun)
Built-Up Area: Chirk
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The small building was erected in c1905 to mark the loss of the child of Baron Trevor of Brynkinallt.
The elaborate neo-Norman building is of upper coal measures rock-faced sandstone and ashlar work, with a stone slab roof between raised gables. A single cell structure with dressed clasping buttresses at all four corners, and an arched entrance in the W gable. This has a round arch of fine and crisply carved chevron and guilloche orders, springing from variously carved twin nook shafts. A boarded oak door with elaborate iron hinges has a small barred viewing window. The side walls have an alternating billet mid-wall string and a tight chevron carved corble table supporting the stone gutter. On each side a small raised dormer with a similar chevron arch rising into a steep gable, and containing glazing with tinted puntils. On the door a dedication plaque to Arthur William, 2nd Baron Trevor, d.1923 and Rosamund his wife, d.1942, and child d.1904.
The interior is vaulted with stone ribs, those at the E descending either side of a niche on the E wall. It contains a lifesize white marble figure of a winged angel standing on a small hemisphere, tenderly carrying in her arms the girl child Mary Rosamund who died in 1904 aged 5.
Included as a fine and elaborate example of neo-Norman design, employed at a late date.
Other nearby listed buildings