This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9488 / 52°56'55"N
Longitude: -3.0553 / 3°3'18"W
OS Eastings: 329192
OS Northings: 339564
OS Grid: SJ291395
Mapcode National: GBR 73.L8B8
Mapcode Global: WH89J.14DQ
Plus Code: 9C4RWWXV+GV
Entry Name: The Lodge
Listing Date: 4 January 1966
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 626
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The building stands in its own grounds back from the minor road from the B5070 to the village of Halton, at the N end of Chirk.
Community: Chirk (Y Waun)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
An earlier building on the site, the lodge for the extended Black Park for Chirk Castle, was taxed for 1 hearth in 1669, William Wynne being tenant in 1681. It had been extended by 1698. It later became the residence of T E Ward, the manager of Black Park Colliery, 1805-1854, who probably rebuilt or remodelled the earlier house in its present form. It was leased to John Scott Milne & Co from 1862 and then sold to Mr Darlington senior, following whom it was occupied by his son, James, 1877-1933, manager of the colliery and a local benefactor. His commemorative cross stands against the W front of the parish church.
Built of red brick in English Garden wall bond, with slated roofs. Front block of 3 storeys, 3 bays, with central entrance to a stair hall, and to the rear, a necking block to a 2-storey service wing. The front consists of two wide wings, the eaves in the form of a pediment, and a narrow central bay having a Doric portico of stone with a plain entablature and mutule cornice. Six-panelled door with diamond pattern timber overlight and glazed side screens. The side wings are identical and well proportioned; 12-paned tripartite sashes on the ground floor with a segmental 9-in brick arch, 16-paned sashes to the first floor and 9-paned sashes at the second floor level, all upper floors having stone wedge lintels and stone sills. Timber pediments and unshaped modillion brackets. A 2-storey canted bay the full width of the front block has been added to the E end, with plat band and similar sash windows. The rear wing has a 6-panelled door and timber 3-light casement windows, and leads to the rear cross service wing which has a hipped roof and bracketed eaves. The gable ends of the front block are also treated as pediments, with timber detailing.
Not accessible at the time of inspection, January 1998.
Included as a fine example of a late Georgian building with considerable architectural pretensions, representing a good example of industrial patronage through its connection with the Black Park Colliery.
Other nearby listed buildings