This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9527 / 52°57'9"N
Longitude: -3.0609 / 3°3'39"W
OS Eastings: 328819
OS Northings: 340008
OS Grid: SJ288400
Mapcode National: GBR 73.L0YQ
Mapcode Global: WH78C.Y1LQ
Plus Code: 9C4RXW3Q+3J
Entry Name: Lowest Terrace Wall at Whitehurst Gardens
Listing Date: 29 July 1998
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 20226
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Whitehurst Gardens adjoin the Holyhead Road c150m NW of the roundabout at the N end of Chirk.
Community: Chirk (Y Waun)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Whitehurst Gardens, also known variously as Black Park Garden and Chirk Castle Garden, were laid out c1651 at considerable personal expense by Sir Thomas Myddleton II (1586-1666) as a pleasure garden for himself and in which to entertain important visitors passing along the Holyhead Road. The walled area extended to 12 acres. Major-General James Berry stayed in 1656, and later circuit judges found it an amenable place to stay. The Duke of Beaufort, Lord President of Wales made a halt here when passing through Wales in 1684, when his equerry describes the 'Admiral Walled GARDEN of Trees, Plants, Flowers and Herbs of the greatest rarity, as well forreigne as of Great Britain, Orrenge and Lemon Trees, the sensitive Plant, &c, where, in a Banquetting-house, a Collation of choise Fruit and Wines was lodged by the sayd Sr RICHARD MYDDLETON to entertein his Grace in this his flourishing Plantation'. Some fruits and vegetables were grown (a fig tree purchased in 1653, and 'sparrowgrasse' [asparagus] in 1658). The gardens also contained deer and fishponds as well as various garden buildings including summerhouses for which weathercocks were bought in 1653. The gardens are illustrated on the Badeslade and Toms engraving of Chirk Castle of 1723, before they were extended to the N and W in 1765. They were gradually compromised from 1906, including the building of 20 houses in the eastern sector for Black Park Colliery in 1931, but the walls, terraces and the impressively large mount survive.
The lowest terrace wall is built of red brick, approximately 3.5m high, with regular 33cm pilaster buttresses, within the gardens. The top 7 courses have been rebuilt, and have a flat stone coping. It follows the sinuous line of the two higher terrace walls, and abuts, at its SW end, Queen Anne's Cottage. The E end was broken in 1931 for the road to the colliery housing.
Included as an important and early pleasure garden constructed during the Civil War by a strong supporter of the Parliamentarian cause, and of which the layout is still distinctly discernable. Of group value with the other terrace walls and the garden buildings within the enclosing walls of the gardens
Other nearby listed buildings