This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9631 / 52°57'47"N
Longitude: -3.0654 / 3°3'55"W
OS Eastings: 328536
OS Northings: 341173
OS Grid: SJ285411
Mapcode National: GBR 72.KCXC
Mapcode Global: WH785.WSG7
Entry Name: Cefn (Newbridge) Viaduct (partly in Cefn Community)
Listing Date: 4 January 1966
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 628
Building Class: Transport
Location: The viaduct carries the railway across the wide valley of the River Dee between Newbridge and Cefn-bychan,
Built-Up Area: Cefn-mawr
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The viaduct was built to the design of Henry Robinson of Llantysilio, chief engineer to the Shrewsbury to Chester Railway, in 1846, Thomas Brassey being the general contractor, and completed in August 1848. The cost was £72,346. The Shrewsbury Chester line was initiated by 'King' Robinson, who had received his training under George Stephenson, and who recognised the need, not met by the canals, to transport materials to Wrexham and Chester. The line became part of the Great Western Railway system in 1854.
Built of coursed squared rock-faced sandstone, the upper arched stage of brick faced with stone. It is 460m (1,508ft) long, comprising 19 arches of 18.2m (60ft) span, rising 46m (147ft) above the river. The main piers are tapered upwards to the springing line, above which the arch voussoirs are recessed behind the face. Above, the low parapet is carried on a corbel table.
Included at grade II* as a highly impressive and architecturally elegant example of mid C19 railway engineering.
Other nearby listed buildings