History in Structure

Tyddyn Cynar

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llansilin, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8657 / 52°51'56"N

Longitude: -3.1716 / 3°10'17"W

OS Eastings: 321223

OS Northings: 330440

OS Grid: SJ212304

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.RJ2X

Mapcode Global: WH78Q.77YG

Plus Code: 9C4RVR8H+78

Entry Name: Tyddyn Cynar

Listing Date: 4 January 1966

Last Amended: 25 September 2003

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 642

Building Class: Domestic

ID on this website: 300000642

Location: Reached by a track to the south of the minor road from Llangadwaladr to Rhydycroesau.

County: Powys

Community: Llansilin

Community: Llansilin

Locality: Rhydleos

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


A four-bay cruck house, built downslope, the main timbers of which have recently been tested by dendrochronology which revealed a felling date of 1472. The house was originally of hall type, with a two-bay hall open to the roof. The lowest bay of the house appears by analogy to have been a byre (compare Ty Draw, Llanrhaeadr). Later the house was given a chimney with its back against the former cross passage, an upper storey, and a south wing containing stairs. A dendrochronological dating of the latter indicates a timber felling date of winter 1609/10.

The main range of the house was originally timber framed, but it was enclosed in stonework (with heightening at the eaves) probably at the time of the storeyed adaptation. The part of the main range below the chimney was later heightened to the same roof level.

Tyddyn Cynar was built beside a natural spring. It was central to a holding with sheep pastures above and fertile valley land below. It was the farmhouse of 99 acres (40 hectares) in the Tithe Survey of 1838 and of about 105 acres (42.5 hectares) when sold in 1889, later described as a mixed farm for grain and cattle.


Neatly laid uncoursed stonework in slate with quoins and some dressings in sandstone. Partial render. Slate roof, central stone chimney stack.

At the east side, now the front, to the left of the forward wing, are one upper window and two doors: at the cross passage a doorway with massive posts and lintel, the posts incorporating boldly projecting jowls, notched and tenoned into the lintel, and a replaced oak door; at left a stone-dressed doorway with segmental arch and replaced boarded door serving the byre / later kitchen. In the forward wing are two altered openings with modern timber windows and a small window in the flank giving light to the space beneath the stairs. In the part to the right of the wing is a boarded door. At rear there are four windows and a door, in the south gable end one window upstairs, one below. All these rear and side openings have timber lintels and replaced joinery. Three rooflights at rear.


A cruck house with a small wing from the hall (present sitting room) extending to the east. The inner room (present dining room) is two steps higher than the hall; the room below the cross-passage (present kitchen) has a floor three steps lower. The inserted chimney stands with the face of the main fireplace flush with the central cruck frame; to its rear the cross-passage survives. The middle two bays, originally constituting the two-bay hall, are of almost equal size.

The north surviving cruck frame separating the upslope inner room from the hall consists of jointed crucks and contains two Tudor-headed doorways and a post-and-panel screen below the main beam, and evidence for a dais bench and canopy. The use of jointed crucks in this high status location shows they were not regarded as architecturally inferior to full crucks. Above the main beam are two posts and a collar beam with infill panels the staves of which are exposed. The other two cruck frames comprise full crucks. The central frame has a collar beam of strongly arched form. The south frame has main and collar beams, doorposts and rails, and propping holes have also been noted.

Reasons for Listing

An exceptionally clear instance of a mediaeval hall-house and its modification to storeyed form, retaining many original features of importance both internally and externally.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Former Separate Kitchen or Bakehouse at Tyddyn Cynar
    15 m south-east of Tyddyn Cynar.
  • II Rhydleos
    At the south side of the minor road from Llangadwaladr to Rhydycroesau in the Avon Ogau valley.
  • II Ty-mawr
    To south of a minor road in the Afon Ogau valley about 1 km north-east of the village of Llansilin.
  • II Ysgwennant
    At north side of a minor road from Llangadwaladr to Rhydycroesau, on a south facing slope in the valley of Afon Ysgwennant about 3.2 km NW of Llansilin village.
  • II Cowhouse range at Lledrod
    At west side of Lledrod farmyard, opposite the farmhouse.
  • II Lledrod Farmhouse
    At the east side of the minor road to Ty-mawr which branches north from the Llansilin to Rhydycroesau road; 2 km north-east of Llansilin. Stone-walled forecourt to the farmyard.
  • II Lofted Cartshed Range at Lledrod
    To the south side of Lledrod farmyard, beside the entrance gate.
  • II Shed and Stable Range at Lledrod
    At the east side of Lledrod farmyard, to the south of the house.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.