This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9754 / 52°58'31"N
Longitude: -3.4145 / 3°24'52"W
OS Eastings: 305112
OS Northings: 342938
OS Grid: SJ051429
Mapcode National: GBR 6M.JR14
Mapcode Global: WH780.JG7V
Plus Code: 9C4RXHGP+45
Entry Name: Plas Isaf
Listing Date: 20 October 1966
Last Amended: 28 January 2004
Source ID: 703
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located down a short track off the W side of a lane which runs from Cynwyd to Melin Rug and approximately 0.5km from Pont Melin Rug.
Locality: Plas Ucha
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Classical-style country-house dated 1804. The earlier farmhouse, now altered, adjoins at right angles.
Large symmetrical 3-window house of 2-storeys with attics; 2 rear wings. Rendered over stone under shallow slate-covered roofs; 2 stone stacks set back behind ridge line. The outer bays of the front are gabled and slightly advanced, the gables with open pediments. String courses to each storey. Central entrance under recessed round arch. Open porch with half-timbered sides and a flat leaded roof, probably added later. Inside is a part-glazed panelled door with 3-pane overlight and side-lights. Flanking the doorway, the outer bays have full-height bay windows with flat leaded roofs, probably contemporary with the porch; the windows have continuous small-pane glazing with opening lights to top. The 1st floor windows are 3-over 6-pane hornless sashes with side-lights, all under recessed arches, segmental to the outer bays and round-arched to the centre. Attic-storey windows to gables, small round-arched sashes within blind round arches.
The N end of the house comprises a 3-bay gable-end façade with canted angles. Open pediment to gable, which is cut by a high blind arch to upper storey; the string courses continue from front. All the openings are under recessed round arches. Blind arch to centre of ground floor flanked by tall 6-over-9-pane sashes with side-lights. Similar arrangement to 1st floor, but with 12-pane sashes with side lights. The canted NE angle of the house bears a date, 1804, to the attic storey, flanking a cast iron downpipe. The S end of the house has a hipped roof; central C20 window to attic storey, 6-over-9-pane sash under recessed round arch offset to L of 1st floor. The earlier house adjoins below.
The rear of the house has contemporary full-height wings to the outer bays. The central bay has a stairlight to the centre, a tall round-arched sash, with a small C20 window to its lower L. Wide gabled attic dormer above stairlight with semi-oculus. The canted NW angle of the house joins the gable end of the N Wing. Each wing has a semi-oculus to the attic within a blind round arch, and a pair of windows to the 1st floor: N wing has cross-windows with large panes, those to S wing are blind, with a very small 4-pane window between them. To centre of ground floor, each wing has a large window under a recessed segmental arch with small-pane glazing. Single C20 window to inner return of each wing. To L of N wing is a gabled porch forming rear entrance, with half-glazed boarded door in R return and C20 small-pane window to front, above which is a bell. Single-pitch range adjoining at right angles to L, with central boarded door flanked by C20 windows.
Adjoining the S end of the house and extending W, is the earlier farmhouse, of one-and-a-half storeys. It was modernised in the 1950s including insertion of large plate-glass windows and dormers.
No access to interior at time of inspection.
Listed as a good classical-style country house retaining its C18 character.
Other nearby listed buildings