This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0962 / 53°5'46"N
Longitude: -3.2094 / 3°12'33"W
OS Eastings: 319116
OS Northings: 356128
OS Grid: SJ191561
Mapcode National: GBR 6X.8T2B
Mapcode Global: WH77J.NFYQ
Entry Name: Former Church School
Listing Date: 29 May 1998
Last Amended: 29 May 1998
Source ID: 19895
Building Class: Education
Location: Situated just S of churchyard wall of church of St Garmon.
Community: Llanarmon-yn-Ial (Llanarmon-yn-Iâl)
Locality: Llanarmon yn Ial
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Former church school, 1777, built with schoolroom over basement teacher's residence, called Tan yr Ysgol. Altered probably in C19 and presently used as a church room, the basement for storage. The 1844 Tithe Map has a house and garden owned by W Jones, occupied by R Humphreys on the site. The benefaction boards within record that it cost £62 to build. It remained in use until the board school opened in 1871.
Church hall, formerly school. Rubble stone with slate roof overhanging at gable ends. Small brick end stacks, W end stack on stone external chimneybreast. Two-storey to S, but built into bank such that entry to schoolroom on N is at ground level. S side has 4 long first floor windows, probably altered in C19, divided into 3 lights by vertical thin bars, the horizontal bars irregular. Ground floor has window, door, window, door, window, all boarded in, with cambered heads and stone voussoirs. End walls have single basement window each, also with stone voussoirs. Rear N has large gabled stone porch, entered from W side, one 3-light window to left similar to those on front and C20 addition to right.
Three roof trusses with double collars. W end has 4 plaques, 3 with Lord's Prayer, Creed and Commandments in Welsh, fourth with the list of benefactors of 1777.
Listed as an unusual example of a late C18 school, retaining its early character and forming a group with the Church of St Garmon.
Other nearby listed buildings