This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1135 / 53°6'48"N
Longitude: -3.3079 / 3°18'28"W
OS Eastings: 312551
OS Northings: 358167
OS Grid: SJ125581
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.7T4D
Mapcode Global: WH77H.502G
Plus Code: 9C5R4M7R+9R
Entry Name: Conservative Club
Listing Date: 24 October 1950
Last Amended: 12 July 2006
Source ID: 946
Building Class: Institutional
Location: Located on the S side of the junction of Well Street and Dog Lane.
Community: Ruthin (Rhuthun)
Built-Up Area: Ruthin
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Rebuilt in 1613 for the constable of Castell Coch, using red sandstone from the castle; formerly dated as such. In 1963 it became a banqueting hall, and in 1977, the Conservative Club.
Large 4-window range, of 2 storeys with attic, constructed of red sandstone, battered towards the base, under a slate roof with brick end stacks; original stone hoodmoulds over windows, which are probably C20. Entrance to R of centre with half-glazed panelled door under a simple flat-roofed wooden porch on plain posts. Transomed 3-light small-pane wooden casements, except that above doorway which is 4-light, and that to lower L which has a 2-light replacement. At mid-level, between L of centre windows, is a sandstone panel with raised border, formerly bearing the date (damaged at time of last survey), now with a plaque recording the history of the building. Under the eaves, 3 tall corbels bearing iron work. Attic storey has 3 small gabled dormers with uPVC windows. West gable is rendered with no openings; beneath is a late C20 addition. Two gabled rear wings, rendered with modern openings and with infill between; large flat-roofed blocks adjoining, of mid-late C20 date.
Stair-hall inside entrance with staircase to rear, large open-plan bar to L and office to R. Small open-well stair with turned newels, plain balusters and good moulded handrails. The bar was formerly 4 rooms divided by a central chimney breast, now removed and replaced by posts. The ceiling has 2 large medium-chamfered spine-beams with cut stops. Behind office, a room with cross-beams with lambs-tongue stops, and a large red sandstone fireplace with wide segmental arch, said to have been reconstructed. On 1st floor, function room is open-plan with C17 ceiling as ground floor; small stone fireplace to W end with pointed-arched head, probably modern; stage to E end.
Listed for its special interest as a large early C17 town-house, unusual for its stone construction in this area, which was built for a high-status owner, and which retains its character and detail. Group value with surrounding listed buildings in Well Street.
Other nearby listed buildings