This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9317 / 52°55'54"N
Longitude: -3.071 / 3°4'15"W
OS Eastings: 328104
OS Northings: 337681
OS Grid: SJ281376
Mapcode National: GBR 72.MBJ6
Mapcode Global: WH78C.SKSV
Entry Name: Chirk Castle Gates, Screen and Piers
Listing Date: 4 January 1966
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 1315
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: The screen stands on the skyline at the Llwyn-y-Cil entrance to Chirk Castle Park at the end of Station Avenue, and set back from the right-angled bend.
Community: Chirk (Y Waun)
Locality: Chirk Castle
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Centre part (without piers and side screens) was begun in 1712; designed and executed for Sir Richard Myddleton, 3rd baronet, by Robert and John Davies, ironsmiths of Croes Foel, Bersham. This was incorporated in an enlarged scheme of 1718-21 by the Davies brothers for the forecourt screen to the Castle. The centrepiece (with gates lengthened) and short lengths of side screen were moved in 1770-1 to New Hall Lodge entrance to the park. Resited, with the screen lengthened with additional panels on the present site in 1888 after the closure to wheeled traffic of the old Cardiff to Chester road through the park.
Intricate cast and wrought ironwork, painted black with gold highlights. Composition of massive openwork piers with sedent wolf finials in lead, twin carriage gates with side panels and rich heraldic overthrow containing the Myddelton arms. Flanking pedestrian gates; screen railings on dwarf ashlar walls with roll-moulded copings and outer stone piers with acorn finials. Exceptional ironwork detailing includes Corinthian capitals to open piers incorporating vine tendrils and coronets with balustraded bases. Scrolled supports to heraldic overthrow embellished with bird, flower and foliage ornaments; urn finials and sunburst supporter to top rail. Intricate scrolled foliage, masks etc to carriage gates; spear finials and simpler scrollwork crestings to side gates and railings. For much of their life, the gates have been painted white highlighted with gold.
Gates removed for repair on inspection, January 1998.
Included at Grade I as regarded as the finest of all the Davies brothers ironwork, and comparable to Jean Tijou's work at Hampton Court.
Other nearby listed buildings