History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bodrhyddan Hall

A Grade I Listed Building in Rhyl, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2973 / 53°17'50"N

Longitude: -3.4328 / 3°25'58"W

OS Eastings: 304602

OS Northings: 378774

OS Grid: SJ046787

Mapcode National: GBR 4ZG9.LQ

Mapcode Global: WH76G.7DL2

Plus Code: 9C5R7HW8+WV

Entry Name: Bodrhyddan Hall

Listing Date: 24 September 1951

Last Amended: 10 November 1994

Grade: I

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1361

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set in parkland approx. lkm east of Rhuddlan.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Rhuddlan

Community: Rhuddlan

Locality: Bodrhyddan

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Dyserth

History

The first house on the site was probably built in the early C15 by Richard Conwy. Externally, the core of the present building is a remodelling of c1690, but internally, the planning of the building suggests a date of the late C16 or early C17. Between 1872 and 1875 W E Nesfield, architect, was engaged to carry out an extensive remodelling, resulting in the enlargement of the house with a new entrance front to the west, and a service wing to the east. Balancing the west front, the E section of the main range was also refaced at the same time, retaining symmetry in the garden front, the centre of which remains the late C17 work.

Exterior

The house is mostly of brick with some stonework to rear, stone dressings, and some terracotta detail in Nesfield's additions. Slate roofs throughout. It is 3 storeyed and comprises entrance wing facing west, with main hall range facing S. Single storeyed dining room wing added to the SE between 1784 and 1810, with service wing of 1872-5 to its rear.

Garden Front: Symmetrically planned and arranged 2-1-3-1-2, in which the 2 outer bays to each side are additions or refacing work by Nesfield. The central section is late C17 work, and comprises a 3-window central range with advanced outer wings to either side. These originally had differentiated bays in each re-entrant angle, and these remain, although the wings themselves were first obscured by additions of c1840, and then refaced ino Nesfield's remodelling work. In the earlier, central section, the windows throughout are 12-pane sashes with heavy glazing bars and gauged brick heads. Stone entablatures over brick arches of attic storey windows. The central ground floor window, of similar type, was inserted by Nesfield to replace the earlier doorway. Stone quoins and string courses, which are stepped as continuous hood-mould band to first floor. Parapet with central pedimented gable, probably the result of alterations carried out c1840. The outer bays added by Nesfield are in a Queen-Anne style which complements the late C17 work. They are symmetrically designed, and each has sash windows to ground and first floor of 12 and 18-panes in broad wood surrounds, and with finely gauged brick heads, steeply cambered to ground floor, flat arched above. Wood mullioned and transomed windows in attic storey. Brick aprons below first floor windows, and string courses between first and second storeys. Modillion eaves cornice. Steep roof with pedimented dormer windows. Brick panelled stacks on wings and also set to rear of main range.

Dining Room wing added between 1784 and 1810 continues the line of the S front to the E. Single storeyed, 3-window range with doorway to left in ornate case with crest between broken pediment. This is a facsimile of the late C17 main entrance door in the centre of the S elevation, and is one of Nesfield's alterations. 3 15-pane sash windows.

Entrance Front: Entirely the work of Nesfield, 1872-75. 3 storeys, 5 bays, with 4-storey central advanced porch. The detail of the outer bays follows the same scheme used in the S front, with cambered heads to 12-pane sash windows of ground floor, 18 panes to first floor, and mullioned and transomed windows above. The central porch has richly detailed doorcase with swags to frieze, and painted crest in the broken pediment. This design was based on the late C17 doorway which had previously been in the centre of the S elevation. 12-pane sash window in stone architrave above. Deep fluted brackets carry balcony with wrought iron rail to 2nd storey, with 24-pane sash window between coupled pilasters divided by terracotta sunflower panels. Paired casements in upper storey, and sundial in apex of shaped Dutch gable which is surmounted by semi-circular shell pediment and heraldic pelican. Pedimented dormer windows in the roof to either side. The entrance front is flanked to either side by single storeyed screen walls (with inserted casement windows) surmounted by balustrade, which concealed the top-lit billiards room to the left, and the conservatory (dem.) to the right.

Rear elevation and service wing: Rear elevation has similar configuration to S front, with advanced outer wings to either side. The W wing is entirely by Nesfield, but the E wing is late C17 and retains some of the original mullioned and transomed windows in its upper floors. Central section is built of stone, probably not as a single phase, and is partly roofed at right angles to the main range of the building. Left of the present porch, a re-sited pedimented doorcase (late C16-early C17) gives access to the basement. Service wing encloses courtyard to rear of house to E. Added by Nesfield; stone, with slate roofs. 2-storeys, with central advanced pavilion block facing yard.

Interior

Main entrance hall is in Nesfield's west entrance front: a low room occupying the width of the house, with fireplaces at either end, with richly coloured tile-work and ornate timberwork, one incorporating a date of 1601 in marquetry panels set into the overmantle. The Great Hall faces south, with staircase opening off it at the NW corner. It is largely the work of Nesfield, though working with an earlier layout. Lateral fireplace (not apparently in its original position) is an inglenook, richly decorated with beaten metal panels to firehood, pomegranate frieze, tilework and built-in benches. Wall-panelling. Billiard room which opens off the entrance hall to the N is also by Nesfield, and has tiled dado and heavy inglenook fireplace. Drawing room above the great hall belongs to an earlier reworking - bookcases enriched with heavy foliate swags and stylised acanthus frieze. friezes, and 2 fireplaces incorporating carved wood panels representing biblical scenes. One of these panels is dated 1637, and they are all probably of this period. These panels are of continental, and probably ecclesiastical, origin. They are set into heavy fireplace surrounds with massive overmantles ornamented with the family crest. This work is all probably of c1840. There is a similar fireplace in the dining room. Adjacent to the drawing room, the boudoir has ribbed plaster panelled ceiling and dado panelling to walls, which may be late C17.

Reasons for Listing

Bodrhyddan is of national importance both as a fine late C17 house (itself with earlier origins), and as an excellent example of the carefully detailed and crafted work of Nesfield.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.