History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dinorben Arms Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bodfari, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.22 / 53°13'12"N

Longitude: -3.3606 / 3°21'38"W

OS Eastings: 309252

OS Northings: 370084

OS Grid: SJ092700

Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.1055

Mapcode Global: WH76W.BBZ9

Entry Name: Dinorben Arms Public House

Listing Date: 16 November 1962

Last Amended: 12 April 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1387

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Immediately south of St. Stephen's Church. The house is sited downslope. Extensive carparks at rear.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Bodfari

Community: Bodfari

Locality: Bodfari Village

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Bodfari

History

A C17 house in origin, remodelled in the C19.

In 1843 the property was part of the estate of Lord Dinorben, tenanted by James Edwards; it was described as the Dinorben Arms homestead but was not a farm, having only 3 acres (1.2 hectares) of land attached.

In the C20 the pub has been much extended at the rear.

An earlier listing description noted a Jacobean panelled door on ornamental iron straps on lugs, and an C18 early enriched wood mantel.

Exterior

Two-storey, three-window public house, roughcast with rusticated window surrounds and quoins; slate roof with chimney between the first and second units at left and end-chimney at right. Coped gables at each end of the main range. Three-light wood mullion windows with an eight-pane sash window in each light and with hood moulds, the lower ones rendered over. Plain open-fronted porch between the centre and right units.

An additional unit at the north end in similar materials with a lower roof and with small pane modern windows. At rear the building extends irregularly with much black-and-white mock half timbering.

Interior

Pub interior much renovated.

Reasons for Listing

A house in the vernacular tradition, listed also for group value with the church and Dinorben Arms as a key element in a village centre of conservation importance.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lychgate and Steps to St Stephen's Church
    To the south-west of St Stephen's Church
  • II* Church of St Stephen
    At the centre of Bodfari Village, approached by a lychgate and long flight of steps. The orientation of the church is north east, but conventional orientation is assumed in this description. Stone chu
  • II Hafod-tan-yr-eglwys (Formerly Ty-gwyn)
    Immediately west of St. Stephen's Church, on a site raised above the roads of the village. Rubble limestone wall to front with iron gate.
  • II The Old School and Schoolhouse
    At the east fringe of Bodfari Village, reached by a track to the north of the B5429, and occupying a terraced site on the hillside with extensive views south. Stone wall at north, with two gateways. P
  • II Geinas Farmhouse
    At north side of the A541, ½ km south of Bodfari Parish Church. Small walled garden at front, other enclosed ground at sides and rear. Farmyard on opposite side of road.
  • II Barn at Aberwheeler House
    To the north of Aberwheeler House
  • II Aberwheeler House
    Reached by a narrow lane ½ km north-east of Pont Geinas, located in private grounds. Set of bee-boles to east, old brick barn to north.
  • II Bee-boles at Aberwheeler House
    At north-west corner of the garden to the rear of Aberwheeler House

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.