This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2203 / 53°13'13"N
Longitude: -3.3611 / 3°21'39"W
OS Eastings: 309219
OS Northings: 370115
OS Grid: SJ092701
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.101S
Mapcode Global: WH76W.BBQ2
Entry Name: Hafod-tan-yr-eglwys (Formerly Ty-gwyn)
Listing Date: 16 November 1962
Last Amended: 12 April 2002
Source ID: 1388
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Immediately west of St. Stephen's Church, on a site raised above the roads of the village. Rubble limestone wall to front with iron gate.
Locality: Bodfari Village
Traditional County: Flintshire
The house may have a mid-C18 origin; the date 1760 is said to be written on a first-floor cupboard door. A building on this site is identified in 1843 as a 'poor cottage'. The present fine Regency style structure must date from an extensive improvement or rebuild shortly after this. The house has an additional bay to the west. A large lean-to extension to the north is thought to date from c.1900.
A house of three storeys and three windows, thought to be of brick, stuccoed and scored with lines to imitate stone courses and painted white. Slight plinth. Low-pitch slate roof with overhangs at verges. Elaborately carved sinuous openwork barge boards. End-chimneys. Hornless sash windows in exposed frames, those to ground and first storeys of 12 panes, those of the second storey of nine panes. Tudor label moulds above windows. Six-panel main door with thin Gothic glazing bars in the rectangular overlight; light porch at front, open at front and sides, with similar overlight at front.
The extension at left is of two storeys, with two similar but wider 12-pane windows above and garage doors below. Two similar windows to west return wall. At rear the elevation is irregular, under a slated lean-to roof commencing a little below the eaves of the main range; modern small-paned timber doors and casements.
Four-panel doors. Staircase with square balusters, close string, column at foot as newel and with square newels at landings. Rails swept on lower floors only.
A house with a fine front elevation in the Regency tradition, listed also for group value with the church and Dinorben Arms as a key element in a village centre of conservation importance.
Other nearby listed buildings