History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Midland Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Rhyl, Denbighshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3197 / 53°19'10"N

Longitude: -3.4909 / 3°29'27"W

OS Eastings: 300782

OS Northings: 381345

OS Grid: SJ007813

Mapcode National: GBR 4Z21.0P

Mapcode Global: WH653.BTXD

Plus Code: 9C5R8G95+VJ

Entry Name: Midland Bank

Listing Date: 16 October 1990

Last Amended: 14 February 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1516

Building Class: Commercial

Location: On a corner site at the cross roads between Wellington Road, High Street, and Bodfor Street, prominently sited opposite the town hall.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Rhyl (Y Rhyl)

Community: Rhyl

Built-Up Area: Rhyl

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Rhyl

History

Built 1899-1901 by J Francis Doyle architect, or Liverpool, for the North and South Wales Bank, replacing an earlier bank building on the site. The North and South Wales Bank amalgamated with the Midland Bank in 1908.

Exterior

Free-classical style, faced in red brick with freestone dressings and channelled ashlar to ground floor; green slate roof rounded across corner, with brick chimney stacks. 3 storeys, 2-bay elevation to Wellington Road, distinctive 1-window rounded corner housing main entrance, and 5-bay elevation to Bodfor Street. Both main elevations have round arched cavetto moulded openings, with dropped keystones and timber glazing of standard banking hall type to ground floor. At the extreme left on Bodfor Street is a secondary entrance with architrave, panelled doors and keystone linking with cornice at base of surround to oculus overlight 20 and 16-pane sash windows above, in shouldered architraves, scrolled and with festoons to first floor, and with tall keystones to 2nd floor. Main entrance is across angle beneath scallop shell hood carried on brackets, with granite doorcase with Ionic columns and keystone. The 1st and 2nd floors of the corner are recessed with Ionic giant order columns and square pies as responds. First floor window above detailed as the rest, but tripartite window to second floor. Both have curved glazing. Quoins, sill and lintel bands mark the division between 1st and 2nd floors, and the ground floor has impost band and high plinth. Balustraded parapet and dentilled cornice. Banking hall modernised.

Reasons for Listing

An excellent example of a purpose-designed bank using a rich and sophisticated interpretation of the free-classical style favoured for commerical building at the turn of the century.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.