History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossett, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1174 / 53°7'2"N

Longitude: -2.9726 / 2°58'21"W

OS Eastings: 335001

OS Northings: 358242

OS Grid: SJ350582

Mapcode National: GBR 76.7QFD

Mapcode Global: WH88L.9XQ0

Plus Code: 9C5V428G+XX

Entry Name: Burton Hall

Listing Date: 7 June 1963

Last Amended: 18 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1573

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located amidst open agricultural land to the south of Burton Hall Road with a northern aspect. Reached by a private track coming off the south side of Burton Hall Road.

County: Wrexham

Community: Rossett (Yr Orsedd)

Community: Rossett

Locality: Burton

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Pulford

History

Burton Hall was held in 1620 by one Anthony Lewis described as a "gent". A date on internal plaster work of 1632 therefore suggests an earlier building remodelled in the early C17. In 1672 it was tenanted by Thomas Critchley and returned as having nine hearths in the Hearth Tax assessment. In 1904 the owner was recorded as a Mr Craven. By this date it had been extensively altered with applied half-timbering covering the exterior as shown by copy photographs. Also considerable internal alteration to fixtures and fittings. Rendered at some later date in the C20. Said to have been a moated site.

Exterior

Two-storeys plus attic to cross wings, grey grit rendered brick and timber-frame. Pitched slate roof. On a U-plan with C19 extension to the south, brick left exposed to gable end. Original sliding sash windows to extension. Most other windows late C19, 1, 2 and 3-light sliding sashes without glazing bars. C19 wooden porch to front (north) elevation. C19 asymmetrically placed gable with decorative half-timbering to north elevation. Further decorative half-timbering to apex of gables of cross-wings with horizontally sliding sash windows beneath to both front and rear elevations.

Interior

Lounge contains C17 half-panelling, and enriched plastered floor beams with vine and strapwork decoration dated "1632". To the west wall an extremely fine carved stone Jacobean chimneypiece with stopped moulded jambs and fluted Roman Doric columns on pedestals with strap-work decoration, and entablature with ornamental frieze. Bedroom above to first floor contains full height C17 oak panelling with decorative frieze to top panels, and stone chimneypiece. Front hall to ground floor is double height with C19 glazed Ruabon tiled floor, and C19 Jacobethan Revival staircase of turned balusters. Dining room to east cross wing contains black marble C19 Jacobethan Revival fireplace and plaster cornice.

Reasons for Listing

Listed, notwithstanding exterior alterations, as a house of C17 origin retaining some exceptionally fine interior detailing.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ivy Cottage (formerly known as Ravensbourne Cottages)
    Located at the end of a lane off the east side of Burton Hall Road between Ravensbourne and Burton House with open farm land to the east.
  • II Ball's Hall
    Set amidst open farmland 1 km north-east of Burton Road. Reached by a private track which leaves Burton Road at its junction with Rosemary Lane and Burton Hall Road to traverse an open field.
  • II The Stone House
    Located in its own grounds off the B5102, Llay Road, and approached by private drive. Site enclosed by stone garden walls, to match fabric of house, and containing much of original garden lay-out.
  • II 1 Yew Tree Cottages
    On south side of B 5102 Llay Road as it begins to ascend Croes Howell Hill. Approx. 1.2 km west of Rossett, at right angles to road.
  • II 2 Yew Tree Cottages
    On south side of B 5102 Llay Road as it begins to ascend Croes Howell Hill. Approx. 1.2 km west of Rossett, at right angles to road.
  • II Outbuilding range immediately E of Yew Tree Farm
    On south side of the B 5102, Llay Road, as it begins to ascend Croeshowell Hill. Approx. 1.2.km west of Rossett. Immediately to the east of Yew Tree Farm, close to the cottages and adjoining contemp
  • II Lower Honkley Farmhouse
    Located close to the road to the north side of Stringer's Lane between Cherry Cottage and Honkley Hall Cottages. Reached from Burton Green along Cobblers Lane which forms a junction with Stringer's La
  • II Meifod
    Situated to the north side of Llay Road and to the west of the River Alyn. Adjacent to the former Lodge to Stoneleigh House.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.