History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Game Larder at Plas Power

A Grade II Listed Building in Coedpoeth, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0411 / 53°2'28"N

Longitude: -3.0468 / 3°2'48"W

OS Eastings: 329912

OS Northings: 349829

OS Grid: SJ299498

Mapcode National: GBR 73.DJDB

Mapcode Global: WH88Y.5TDG

Plus Code: 9C5R2XR3+C7

Entry Name: Game Larder at Plas Power

Listing Date: 30 January 1992

Last Amended: 26 October 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1737

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Immediately to SW of the site of Plas Power house, adjoining brick wall that formerly bordered the service courtyard.

County: Wrexham

Community: Coedpoeth (Coed-poeth)

Community: Coedpoeth

Locality: Bersham

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Wrexham

History

Plas Power estate lies NW of Bersham and SE of Coedpoeth; the game larder is near the sourther end of the park and is reached 1km along the N drive off A425. Close to Offa's Dyke.

Plas Power was completely remodelled in 1858 for Thomas Lloyd Fitzhugh by John Gibson, architect, of London and was demolished in 1946-7. The Game Larder is contemporary with this remodelling and the associated improvements to the estate and is shown on a plan of 1866.

Exterior

Octagonal red brick structure with hammer dressed, long and short sandstone quoins. Unusually steep slate roof with bands of shaped slates and very wide overhanging eaves carried on arched timber brackets springing from stone corbels; timber finial to top. Rectangular windows concealed under the eaves with freestone architraves, metal bars and gauze. Panelled door. Internally the walls are diagonally tiled below the windows with blue and white band to the top.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of this building type and for its special interest as a surviving building associated with Plas Power.

Group value with the Dairy at Plas Power.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Dairy at Plas Power
    To W of and uphill from the Game Larder whcih adjoins the site ofof Plas Power house; close to the SE corner of the walled garden.
  • II Bath House in Plas Power Park
    In woodland immediately S of the stables in Plas Power Park.
  • II Stable Block at Plas Power
    Plas Power Estate lies NW of Bersham and SE of Coedpoeth; the stables are near the southern end of the park and reached 1km along N drive off A525. They lie immediately to the NW of the drive.
  • II Ice-House at Plas Power
    Remotely sited, set into a man-made bank on the edge of woodland close to Offa's Dyke; to NW of site of Plas Power house and to E of Garden Cottages.
  • II Western Weir on the River Clywedog
    750m approx W of Bersham village, immediately E of Offa's Dyke
  • II Bridge, Gates and Railings at Bersham Lodge
    Immediately W of Bersham Lodge, and marking the entrance to the former S entrance to Plas Power Park, 500m approx. W of Plas Power Chapel.
  • II Bersham Lodge
    Alongside the by-road running W from Bersham village, close to the River Clywedog, 500m approx. W of Plas Power Chapel.
  • II Caeau Weir
    On the River Clywedog, close to Caeau Bridge, 400m approx. W of Plas Power Chapel

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.