This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0428 / 53°2'34"N
Longitude: -3.0475 / 3°2'51"W
OS Eastings: 329866
OS Northings: 350019
OS Grid: SJ298500
Mapcode National: GBR 73.DB7B
Mapcode Global: WH88Y.5S25
Entry Name: Stable Block at Plas Power
Listing Date: 26 October 1995
Last Amended: 26 October 1995
Source ID: 16452
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Plas Power Estate lies NW of Bersham and SE of Coedpoeth; the stables are near the southern end of the park and reached 1km along N drive off A525. They lie immediately to the NW of the drive.
Community: Coedpoeth (Coed-poeth)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Plas Power was completely remodelled in 1858 for Thomas Lloyd Fitzhugh by John Gibson, architect, of London and was demolished in 1946-7. The stables form part of improvements to the estate associated with the remodelling of the house, and are dated 1864, with initials T.L.F.
Brick with stone dressings and slate roof carried forward on moulded timber eaves cornice. The stables are built as 3 sides of a blue-brick lined courtyard, with a small rear wing offset to the NW housing domestic accomodation above tack rooms etc. Main range facing courtyard entrance articulated as 5 bays with segmental arches on plain brick pilasters with stone impost band. Outer arches have glazed tympana; central doorway has entablature carried on brackets. Advanced ranges to either side are similarly articulated, but with narrow outer bays housing doorways with overlights at either end, and wider segmental arches to centre. In the right-hand range, one of these arches is blind, and the other has double doors with glazed overlight; in the left hand range, both arches have full-height doors into the head of the arch.
Original fittings survive in stabling in main range: hexagonal tiled walls, with lined-out stucco above, boarded and iron railed stall dividers, and blue brick flooring. Loose boxes in right hand range; left hand range open, probably as coach house.
Listed as a well-detailed architecturally designed stable range which retains its original character intact, and for its special interest as a surviving estate building at Plas Power.
Other nearby listed buildings