History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ice-House at Plas Power

A Grade II Listed Building in Coedpoeth, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0423 / 53°2'32"N

Longitude: -3.049 / 3°2'56"W

OS Eastings: 329763

OS Northings: 349963

OS Grid: SJ297499

Mapcode National: GBR 73.D9W8

Mapcode Global: WH88Y.4SBK

Plus Code: 9C5R2XR2+W9

Entry Name: Ice-House at Plas Power

Listing Date: 30 January 1992

Last Amended: 26 October 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1739

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Remotely sited, set into a man-made bank on the edge of woodland close to Offa's Dyke; to NW of site of Plas Power house and to E of Garden Cottages.

County: Wrexham

Community: Coedpoeth (Coed-poeth)

Community: Coedpoeth

Locality: Bersham

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Wrexham

History

Plas Power Estate lies NW of Bersham and SE of Coedpoeth; the ice house is near the southern end of the park and is reached 1km along N drive off A525.

Plas Power was completely remodelled in 1858 for Thomas Lloyd Fitzhugh by John Gibson, architect, of London and was demolished in 1946-7. The Ice House is largely contemporary with this remodelling and the associated improvements to the estate, although appears to have had later alterations.

Exterior

Circular, red brick structure with conical slate roof. N (upper) side has large, gable ended porch with coursed rubble base; the change to brickwork probably indicates later enlargement. Stone lintel over outer entrance to steps down to ice chamber.

Interior

Domed and brick lined ice chamber with round-headed entrance arch that slopes and curves inwards resulting in complex brickwork; stone sill. Either side of this are concave recesses.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a rare example of an intact ice house and for its special interest as a surviving estate building at Plas Power.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Stable Block at Plas Power
    Plas Power Estate lies NW of Bersham and SE of Coedpoeth; the stables are near the southern end of the park and reached 1km along N drive off A525. They lie immediately to the NW of the drive.
  • II Bath House in Plas Power Park
    In woodland immediately S of the stables in Plas Power Park.
  • II Dairy at Plas Power
    To W of and uphill from the Game Larder whcih adjoins the site ofof Plas Power house; close to the SE corner of the walled garden.
  • II Game Larder at Plas Power
    Immediately to SW of the site of Plas Power house, adjoining brick wall that formerly bordered the service courtyard.
  • II Western Weir on the River Clywedog
    750m approx W of Bersham village, immediately E of Offa's Dyke
  • II Nant Bridge
    Carries a by-road over the River Clywedog, 1km approx. south of the A525 at Coedpoeth
  • II Bridge, Gates and Railings at Bersham Lodge
    Immediately W of Bersham Lodge, and marking the entrance to the former S entrance to Plas Power Park, 500m approx. W of Plas Power Chapel.
  • II Bersham Lodge
    Alongside the by-road running W from Bersham village, close to the River Clywedog, 500m approx. W of Plas Power Chapel.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.