This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0625 / 53°3'44"N
Longitude: -2.9676 / 2°58'3"W
OS Eastings: 335254
OS Northings: 352131
OS Grid: SJ352521
Mapcode National: GBR 76.C5N7
Mapcode Global: WH88Z.D932
Entry Name: Cherry Hill
Listing Date: 31 January 1994
Last Amended: 31 January 1994
Source ID: 1747
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Above the road in extensive grounds, on the edge of the town.
Built-Up Area: Wrexham
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built as a private house in 1936, and designed by Edgar Beresford (of the Baillie Scott and Beresford Partnership), for C.L Thomas. In use as a children's home since 1971.
Render over brick with hipped plain tiled roof. 2 storeys, 4 window range. Simplified Arts and Crafts style, asymmetrically composed. Garden front: divided into 4 principal bays by an advanced central gable. Left of the gable, the main hall has a French window with side lights and a tiny inglenook window which are recessed beneath the jettied half-timbered upper storey which has a 4-light casement window. The left hand bay is advanced under the same sweeping roof line, with 5 and 4-light casement windows, the roof-slope continuing over a loggia in the left-hand gable return. The advanced gable has a 4-light casement window to ground floor, 3-light casement above, and expressed brick stack in right hand angle of gable. In the right hand bay, 2 rooms are lit by a 5-light casement window, and a smaller window of 2-lights alongside, and there is a single 3-light window above. Rear elevation: the main entrance is towards the centre, recessed beneath jettied timbered upper storey. 4-centred chamfered arch to doorway and heavy studded door with strap hinges; leaded side lights. Paired gables to right of entrance, with transomed stair window in inner gable, and 3-light casement windows in the advanced outer gable. Roof sweeps down over service entrance, with long 4-light dormer window. The original windows throughout were iron-casements with leaded lights, and some of these survive (though many have been renewed).
The original plan of the house survives substantially intact, and comprises central entrance and stair hall with living rooms to either side, and a differentiated service end. Main hall has inglenook fireplace with built-in bench, and beaten copper hood to fire, dated 1937 in raised lettering. Solid-panelled square staircase, with ornate newels. Original fire-surrounds survive in other living rooms, that to former dining room incorporating tiles with vine-scroll design.
Listed as a good example of late work in the Arts and Crafts style from the Ballie-Scott and Beresford partnership, which is elegantly massed and detailed, and retains much of its original character.
Other nearby listed buildings