History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pant-yr-ochain Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Gresford, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0736 / 53°4'24"N

Longitude: -2.9774 / 2°58'38"W

OS Eastings: 334613

OS Northings: 353371

OS Grid: SJ346533

Mapcode National: GBR 76.BH7P

Mapcode Global: WH88Z.70FK

Entry Name: Pant-yr-ochain Hotel

Listing Date: 3 June 1996

Last Amended: 3 June 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17694

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Situated in its own grounds at the end of a drive running E off Old Wrexham Road c1.5km SW of Gresford.

County: Wrexham

Community: Gresford (Gresffordd)

Community: Gresford

Locality: Pant-yr-ochain

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Wrexham

History

A house known as Pant Iocyn is recorded in 1592 when it was owned by William Almer. Other owners include George Lloyd, Bishop of Chester in 1615. It is in Edward Lhwyd's list of notable houses of the parish of Gresford c1700, then owned by William Robinson. It was bought by Sir Foster Cunliffe in 1785 and remained in the family until at least 1903. A 2-storey timber-framed house was substantially remodelled 1835 incorporating elements of the earlier building. Altered C20.

Exterior

Jacobean style house with painted render elevations, stone dressings, slate roof and rendered chimneys. Applied C19 timber framing and timber framing possibly of C17 date retained to rear. L shaped plan with extensions, 2 storeys. Entrance front has central shaped gable with finial in front of which is a projecting 2-storey porch which has a shaped gable and finial of the same pattern. Entrance with stone surround and shaped pediment, above this are 2-light windows in the form of paired sashes in a stone surround. To the right a semi-octagonal projecting bay window. Upper floor has similar windows. To the right an attached bay is set back and has a gable shaped as before. Right hand return elevation has a slightly projecting central bay with shaped gable containing stone plaques with heraldry and the date 1835. Rear: to left a bay with shaped gablet as before. Main range has a central projecting gabled bay, this and the bay to the left has applied timber framing of later C19 character, to right timber framing of C17 character in the upper floor. Attached range at right angles also has some C17 timber framing. Left hand return has some C17 timber framing.

Interior

remodelled C20 retaining some earlier C19 features including panelled doors, reeded door-surrounds and some shutters. Some timber framing of C17 character is visible in walls on the ground floor.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an earlier C19 house in Jacobean style which incorporates part of a timber framed building and for historical associations as one of the principal houses in the neighbourhood.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.