This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9148 / 51°54'53"N
Longitude: -2.8674 / 2°52'2"W
OS Eastings: 340435
OS Northings: 224381
OS Grid: SO404243
Mapcode National: GBR FC.PKCV
Mapcode Global: VH78X.74ZG
Entry Name: Grosmont Town Hall
Listing Date: 20 March 1981
Last Amended: 19 October 2000
Source ID: 2757
Building Class: Civil
Location: In the centre of the Market Square, Grosmont.
Community: Grosmont (Y Grysmwnt)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Grosmont remained a borough governed by mayor and coporation until the mid C19, and the Town Hall is a sign of its former importance during the medieval period. The present early C19 Town Hall was built on the site of the old one, which was timber-framed and much larger.
In 1828 The Duke of Beaufort offered to rebuild the market hall, which had fallen into disrepair. The new Town Hall built 1831-2 provided an upstairs assembly room, and a ground-floor market hall.
The external stone staircase on the W side, appears to have been added sometime after 1832, but there were few C19 changes. Bradney's 'History of Monmouthshire' includes a photograph of the Town Hall in 1904 showing the arcaded market hall open to the street on all sides. However, sometime during the earlier C20, the S end was enclosed. The Duke of Beaufort donated the town hall to the parish in 1902.
Small C19 town hall, with upper assembly room and ground-floor arcaded market place. Rubble stone, ashlar dressings. SE front has large centre gable which breaks forward slightly. Gable head has small square louvred window (formerly glazed) and stone cross at apex. Each side of gable are narrow recessed side walls with tall chamfered slits on the ground and first floors. The tops of these walls form a flat coped parapet flanking each side of the centre gable. Between second and attic floors is a projecting string course with shaped kneelers. First floor has 3-light wooden transom window with moulded mullions and chamfered stone jambs. On ground floor, wide steps lead to a broad segmental arched opening, formerly open but now enclosed by C20 boarded double-doors. Market hall is to NW, ground floor forms open arcade with big segmental arched openings with iron gates on three sides. NW Gable, first floor has 3-light transom as detailed. NE elevation, first floor has two similar transoms and centre tablet commemorating Duke of Beaufort's gift of Town Hall to parish in 1902. SW side has external stone staircase leading to porch with gabled roof; lock up cell on ground floor with small barred window.
Paved market area with open arches on three sides. At N end, a large octagonal stone, with triple quatrefoils on each face, rests on a plain base. This stone is said to be the base of the cross, the remains of which stand in the churchyard. First floor assembly room is five bays with arch braced collar trusses. Roof is ceiled at collar with two square cast iron ventilators. Lateral fireplace with shouldered head and moulded stone surround. Entrance doorway has plank door with applied fillets.
Rare survival of a well preserved early C19 town hall; the relatively large size of which reflects the historical importance of the borough of Grosmont in former times. Group value with the other listed buildings in the centre of Grosmont.
Other nearby listed buildings