This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7465 / 51°44'47"N
Longitude: -2.7244 / 2°43'27"W
OS Eastings: 350082
OS Northings: 205556
OS Grid: SO500055
Mapcode National: GBR JK.11F0
Mapcode Global: VH876.QCKH
Entry Name: The Babington Centre
Listing Date: 1 June 1988
Last Amended: 28 February 2001
Source ID: 2792
Building Class: Institutional
Location: Situated in an important location within Trellech conservation area; on north side of the main road overlooking the churchyard.
Community: Trellech United (Tryleg Unedig)
Community: Trellech United
Built-Up Area: Pen-twyn
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built about 1820 on the Clock-house lands (following the sale of the previous premises, where the school was first said to have been founded by Zachary Babibgton, Vicar of Trellech, for £30 plus subscriptions for £100). Later additions and alterations to windows. It is recorded as becoming a daily school in 1830, unless this is when it was first built. It became a church school in 1870 which it remained until the current church primary school nearby was opened in c1970.
Low 1 storey Tudor Revival style village school. It is built of sandstone rubble facings (partly coursed) and freestone dressings, Welsh slate roofs. The original plan was a single classroom with a very small master's cottage at the rear. Both of these have been extended.
Symmetrical three window front with central cross gable and wavy bargeboards. Broad chamfered reveals to openings, taller to the centre with a rectangular dripmould and blind panel over, sashes to flanking windows with 1 over 1 panes. Lower one window extension to the left with cross-glazing. Main gable ends with dripmoulds over large cross-windows, modern porch to east side. Wide-spreading 2 storey rear gabled range with stone chimney stack, sash windows on two levels between lean-to extensions.
Stone walled forecourt to main road; pedestrian gatepiers downhill to east side, the ball-finials are missing.
The main classroom has a 3-bay principal rafter roof.
Included for its special interest as a documented, surviving example of a village school in an exceptional location and for its group value with the other listed buildings in Trellech village, several of which are imediately adjacent to it.
Other nearby listed buildings