This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5977 / 51°35'51"N
Longitude: -2.9091 / 2°54'32"W
OS Eastings: 337129
OS Northings: 189156
OS Grid: ST371891
Mapcode National: GBR J9.BGZL
Mapcode Global: VH7BF.J3GJ
Entry Name: Parish Church of Langstone
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 19 December 1995
Source ID: 2919
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located on the E side of Langstone Lane leading from Langstone to Llanwern..
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Church with C13 origins. The nave was extended in 1622 after the S porch which is probably C16. The church was restored in 1907. The N and S chapels to the chancel probably date from this time.
Church consists of nave, chancel, S porch, bellcote and N and S chapels to the chancel. The church is constructed of blue lias and local pink sandstone with some Roman bricks to the porch. The roofs are clad in natural slate. The majority of the fenestration is in Perp style with hollow chamfered mullions, cusped heads, flat hoodmoulds with simple square labels and sandstone dressings. The E window is C19, two-light, with quatrefoil to the head and simple hoodmould over. High up on the chancel gable are what appear to be three early window heads, re-set, with trefoil heads and sunk spandrels. The chancel is lit on the N and S side by early, leaded, two-light windows. The N and S chapels adjoin the chancel and have modern fenestration; the S chapel has a large squat lancet beneath a voussoired arch on the E wall and the N chapel is lit by a large three-light, cusped window on the N elevation beneath voussoired arch. The S side of the nave is lit by a further early windows at the E end and by a C19 copy at the W end, under a more complexly moulded hoodmould. The N side of the nave reveals the C17 extension which is inset from the earlier nave. The W end is lit by a surviving Early English lancet with shallow cusping to the head and plain chamfer to the jambs. Presumably re-set. The main body of the nave has a further early two-light window. The N side of the nave has a stone plinth along its length. The S porch is probably early C16 with round-headed outer arch with chamfered jambs, the inner doorway is also round-headed with dressed stone jambs with diagonal stops. The roof has an ovolo-moulded collar purlin with arched braces and two moulded purlins. Evidence of bosses to collar purlin now lost. The W end has a bellcote with a single bell, a C17 window with stained glass and four-centred arch is below it. At ground floor is a large doorway with oak doorframe and boarded door
and the following inscription is carved in the lintel:
April the 7 Anno Domini 1622 Theophilus Bishop
John Renaldes Edward William
Chancel arch is high, two-centred and plain with a C19 boarded roof to the nave and chancel. Windows have deeply splayed reveals. All furnishings are C19. Small octagonal C19 font to W of doorway.
Listed grade II for the special interest of its surviving early fabric.
Other nearby listed buildings