History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tyddyn-y-Pwll

A Grade II Listed Building in Caerhun, Conwy

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2289 / 53°13'43"N

Longitude: -3.8419 / 3°50'30"W

OS Eastings: 277141

OS Northings: 371788

OS Grid: SH771717

Mapcode National: GBR 62.0P6L

Mapcode Global: WH54C.Y3PH

Plus Code: 9C5R65H5+H6

Entry Name: Tyddyn-y-Pwll

Listing Date: 17 March 1953

Last Amended: 21 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3156

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located to the S of Roewen Road at the W extremity of the village; accessed via a farm track which passes the building on the R and continues to terminate at Bryn Derw farm.

County: Conwy

Community: Caerhun

Community: Caerhun

Locality: Ty'n-y-Groes

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llangelynin

History

Also known as Tyddyn Honda. Mentioned in 1607 though the present house is a rebuild of 1703 for Rowland Jones, who died in 1740 aged 83.

Exterior

One-and-a-half storey 3-bay farmhouse, of whitened rubble construction with boulder foundations. Old slate roof, the northern half of which had collapsed at the time of inspection (November 1995); plain end chimneys. Near-centre entrance with pegged oak doorcase and boarded door. Above the entrance, a stone plaque inscribed: 'RI ME/ TANGHEFEDD/ DDVW A FO YN/ YN TV HWN/ AMEN 1703.' Flanking the entrance are 2-light unglazed windows with timber lintels. Three 2-light casement windows to the attic floor, contained within plain gabled dormers. 2 plain, unglazed window openings to the rear.

Interior

The interior was not inspected at the time of survey (November 1995), though an original 4-bay collar truss roof and dividing boarded partitions are recorded.

Reasons for Listing

Listed despite its condition as a largely unaltered and dated example of a vernacular early C18 farmhouse.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Hall (with connecting wall to triangular store)
    Prominently sited on the corner of the B5106 (Bettws-y-Coed - Conwy road) at its junction with a lane running SW to Pontwgan; set back slightly behind plain rubble walls.
  • II Triangular store (with connecting wall to The Hall)
    Prominently sited on the corner of the B5106 (Bettws-y-Coed - Conwy road) at its junction with a lane running SW to Pontwgan; set back slightly behind plain rubble walls.
  • II Pont Gorswen
    Spanning the Afon Roe and carrying an unclassified lane leading NW from Pontwgan to Roewen.
  • II Pont y Ddol
    Spanning the Afon Roe and carrying an unclassified lane leading NW from Pontwgan to Roewen, 50m SE of Pont Gorswen.
  • II Bwthyn Rhyd
    Prominently sited on the S side of the main street at the approach to the village; behind a small rubble-walled forecourt with C19 decorative iron gate to N.
  • II* Llanerch-y-Felin
    Located off the village lane to the N facing its former farmyard, now metalled; accessed via a short metalled lane.
  • II Caer Rhun Hall
    Located 200m NW of Caerhun church, set back from the main Bettws-y-Coed - Conwy road (B 5106) on the E side behind high rubble walls.
  • II Seion Welsh Presbyterian Chapel
    Prominently sited on the N side of the main street in the centre of the village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.