History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bwthyn Rhyd

A Grade II Listed Building in Caerhun, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.23 / 53°13'48"N

Longitude: -3.8596 / 3°51'34"W

OS Eastings: 275968

OS Northings: 371944

OS Grid: SH759719

Mapcode National: GBR 61.0JY6

Mapcode Global: WH54C.P2BM

Plus Code: 9C5R64JR+25

Entry Name: Bwthyn Rhyd

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Last Amended: 21 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3168

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Prominently sited on the S side of the main street at the approach to the village; behind a small rubble-walled forecourt with C19 decorative iron gate to N.

County: Conwy

Community: Caerhun

Community: Caerhun

Locality: Rowen

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llangelynin

History

Formerly the Siloam Chapel. Probably built in 1819 as the Seion chapel, though rebuilt in 1841 and re-dedicated. Subsequently converted to a hall and used by the Women's Institute; presently a private house.

Exterior

Square building of rubble with hipped roof and half-hipped sides; plain, squat central stack. The E (entrance) front is symmetrical and has paired arched windows to the centre with small-pane sash glazing and radial heads; dressed sandstone voussoirs and projecting slate cills. Between them is an inset sandstone plaque inscribed 'Siloaem June 28th 1841: C'. Flanking outer entrances, arched as before and with radial fanlights; C19 6-panel door to R and similar to L, though here with (subsequently) glazed upper panels. 2 replaced 12-pane sash windows to first floor rear with further, similar window to ground floor centre. Flanking this are 2 modern French windows. The rear and W walls are rendered; all rear openings have plain modern stucco architraves. 3-bay modern veranda made up of re-used late C19 turned pine elements.

Interior

Plain, modernised interior.

Reasons for Listing

A mid C19 chapel with probable earlier origins retaining good external character in a prominent village location.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Seion Welsh Presbyterian Chapel
    Prominently sited on the N side of the main street in the centre of the village.
  • II Fronfa
    Prominently located on the S side of the main street in the village centre; opposite the Seion Presbyterian chapel and built into the slope of the street to the W.
  • II* Llanerch-y-Felin
    Located off the village lane to the N facing its former farmyard, now metalled; accessed via a short metalled lane.
  • II Bodafon
    Prominently located on the S side of the main street in the village centre; opposite the Seion Presbyterian chapel and built into the slope of the street to the W.
  • II Pont Gorswen
    Spanning the Afon Roe and carrying an unclassified lane leading NW from Pontwgan to Roewen.
  • II Pont y Ddol
    Spanning the Afon Roe and carrying an unclassified lane leading NW from Pontwgan to Roewen, 50m SE of Pont Gorswen.
  • II Tyddyn-y-Pwll
    Located to the S of Roewen Road at the W extremity of the village; accessed via a farm track which passes the building on the R and continues to terminate at Bryn Derw farm.
  • II Maes-y-Castell
    Located approximately 1km W of Caerhun on a rise above the Afon Roe; accessed via a track leading E from a lane running from Llanbedr-y-Cennin to Pontwgan.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.