History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Seion Welsh Presbyterian Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Caerhun, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2306 / 53°13'50"N

Longitude: -3.8615 / 3°51'41"W

OS Eastings: 275840

OS Northings: 372011

OS Grid: SH758720

Mapcode National: GBR 61.0JGR

Mapcode Global: WH54C.N2D6

Entry Name: Seion Welsh Presbyterian Chapel

Listing Date: 21 February 1996

Last Amended: 21 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17017

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Prominently sited on the N side of the main street in the centre of the village.

County: Conwy

Community: Caerhun

Community: Caerhun

Locality: Rowen

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llangelynin

Exterior

Large rectangular chapel, probably built in 1841 when the former Siloam Chapel was converted for subsequent use as the Women's Institute room. Of rubble on a low rubble plinth and with plain slate roof. Symmetrical E (entrance) front with plain bargeboards to gable. Paired tall, arched windows with 18-pane sashes and radial glazing to heads; marginal glazing. Outer flanking entrances, arched as before with 4-panel raised-and-fielded double-doors and radial fanlights. 3 further arched windows to each of the N, S and W sides, with 20-pane sashes and radial glazing to the heads. All openings have dressed sandstone voussoirs to the arches and the windows projecting stone cills. The W gable end is rendered and has plain stucco stringcourses and architraves. An ex situ stone tablet fixed to the lower L of the E wall has a dedication inscription in Welsh and 'Sion 1819'.

Interior

Plain interior with panelled ceiling and tiered seating rising towards the W.

Reasons for Listing

A mid C19 chapel in a prominent village location retaining good external character.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Fronfa
    Prominently located on the S side of the main street in the village centre; opposite the Seion Presbyterian chapel and built into the slope of the street to the W.
  • II Bodafon
    Prominently located on the S side of the main street in the village centre; opposite the Seion Presbyterian chapel and built into the slope of the street to the W.
  • II* Llanerch-y-Felin
    Located off the village lane to the N facing its former farmyard, now metalled; accessed via a short metalled lane.
  • II Bwthyn Rhyd
    Prominently sited on the S side of the main street at the approach to the village; behind a small rubble-walled forecourt with C19 decorative iron gate to N.
  • II Pont Gorswen
    Spanning the Afon Roe and carrying an unclassified lane leading NW from Pontwgan to Roewen.
  • II Pont y Ddol
    Spanning the Afon Roe and carrying an unclassified lane leading NW from Pontwgan to Roewen, 50m SE of Pont Gorswen.
  • II Tyddyn-y-Pwll
    Located to the S of Roewen Road at the W extremity of the village; accessed via a farm track which passes the building on the R and continues to terminate at Bryn Derw farm.
  • II Maes-y-Castell
    Located approximately 1km W of Caerhun on a rise above the Afon Roe; accessed via a track leading E from a lane running from Llanbedr-y-Cennin to Pontwgan.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.