This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2662 / 53°15'58"N
Longitude: -3.8123 / 3°48'44"W
OS Eastings: 279226
OS Northings: 375885
OS Grid: SH792758
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZTN.GW
Mapcode Global: WH65B.D5WF
Plus Code: 9C5R758Q+F3
Entry Name: Cymryd
Listing Date: 17 March 1953
Last Amended: 28 December 1995
Source ID: 3159
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Strikingly sited on low-lying land on the W bank of the Conwy estuary, at the E boundary of the community; accessed via a long track leading E from Brynseiri Road.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
History: Small late-Medieval hall of c.1500 with additions or alterations of the late C16, c.1696, c.1890 and c.1965. The primary hall range retains its service partition screen and lateral chimney, though the parlour bay was replaced early-on. The present parlour range is a storied and gabled cross-wing dated 1696 and with the initials of the then owners David and Katherine Lloyd. Whilst internal alterations, such as the stair, clearly relate to this intervention, the nature and detailing of the parlour ceiling, and its relationship with the stair allow one to question a late C17 construction date; more probably the parlour wing is a late C16 addition, cosmetically overhauled in 1696. This would then account for the otherwise peculiar anachronisms (for such a date and context) in the construction and detailing.
In addition, the ceiling-over of the hall was clearly done in two phases, testifying, again to two periods; the earlier of these, nearest the service partition, closely relates to the parlour ceiling and is therefore probably contemporary (ie. late C16), whilst the remainder is of late C17 character.
Exterior: The primary (E) range is single-storey, of rubble and with a steeply-pitched slate roof. Off-centre entrance to cross-passage with timber lintel and part-glazed c.1890 door; 2-light leaded window to the L, of similar date, though perhaps in an original opening. To the R of the entrance, a wide, gabled lateral chimney, apparently original, though the upper section rebuilt. 3-light window as before to the S (courtyard) side, with the opposing entry contained within an attached C19 single-storey service wing; tall, plain chimney to its S gable and further, similar openings. The parlour wing adjoins the hall to the W; 2-storeys plus attic. Construction as before, though with some re-used (apparently Medieval) sandstone ashlar blocks incorporated. Coped parapet gables with simply-decorated kneelers and, on the S gable, a chimney as before. Leaded windows as before to N and W sides, some to primary openings. Between the ground and first-floor windows of the N gable, a sandstone date plaque (1696) with the inscribed initials: LL/H.K DVW/A.DIGON. On the S gable, two 2-light stone mullioned windows with chamfered jambs. Modern stone extensions (c.1965) attached to SE; single-storey and in vernacular style. Adjoining the parlour wing to the E and extruded in the angle between it and the hall range, an early C20 conservatory.
Interior: Cross-passage arrangement to hall with original post-and-panel service partition screen to E; this has two contemporary Tudor-arched openings. Stopped-chamfered ceiling
joists with evidence for former ladder access to upper loft/chamber. The inner screen to the
cross-passage is a copy of c.1890. Large inglenook fireplace with bressummer and modern grate; modern seating within with re-set linenfold panelling of 1530-40, not original to the house. Fragmentary dividing screen between hall and parlour at former dais end; post-and-panel type, probably late C16 though possibly in part original. 3-bay roof, the E truss of simple collar type and formerly an infilled partition; the principal truss is (curiously for the region) of jointed crucks and has a collar beam with cusped raking struts.
The parlour wing has a wide, single-flight oak stair belonging to the 1696 phase; simple geometric newel posts, flat, shaped balusters and original treads and risers. A post-and-panel partition wall divides the upper hall from the parlour; random width oak floorboards. The parlour has been subdivided during the late Victorian alterations, creating a small bedroom; this is divided from the remaining parlour space by a contemporary post-and-panel partition screen. Good stopped-chamfered joists to crossbeam parlour ceiling; some ogee stops.
Included at Grade II* as a late Medieval house with sub-Medieval alterations and additions and retaining much of its interior character.
Reference: RCAHMW, Caernarvonshire, Vol.1,East, 161-2 (583).
Cymryd was first listed on the 17/03/1953, it was later scheduled on the 13/10/1966.
Other nearby listed buildings