A Grade II Listed Building in Trefriw, Conwy
Latitude: 53.151 / 53°9'3"N
Longitude: -3.8244 / 3°49'27"W
OS Eastings: 278087
OS Northings: 363095
OS Grid: SH780630
Mapcode National: GBR 63.5FGW
Mapcode Global: WH65X.7226
Plus Code: 9C5R552G+C6
Entry Name: Pont Trefriw
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Last Amended: 30 May 1996
Source ID: 3220
Building Class: Transport
Location: Road bridge in the town centre, spanning the Afon Crafnant.
Built-Up Area: Trefriw
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Late C18 or early C19, and certainly post 1777 when plans for the new turnpike road were formed. Survey plans exist dated 1822, though this need not be the construction date. Wide, single-span rubble bridge with segmental arch; rough-dressed voussoirs recessed slightly below a plain arch ring formed of narrow stones. Parapets with rough-dressed coping stones and plain band below; battered piers flanking the arch. Modern footway added on W side; arch strengthened with modern strutting.
Reasons for Listing
A late C18 or early C19 road bridge in a prominent location within the town.
Other nearby listed buildings
On the street line in the town centre, just S of Llys Llewelyn and opposite the Trefriw Hall; set back slightly behind a low wall with simple C19 gates and iron railings.
Set back from the main street in the town centre, partly obscured by later housing on the street-line in front.
Prominently sited in the town centre just S of the church of St. Mary; set back slightly from the road behind a low garden wall with simple spear-headed gates and railings.
On the street line, opposite the church of St. Mary.
On the street line, opposite the church of St. Mary and stepped-down and adjoining Tan-yr-Yw.
Peniel Welsh Presbyterian Chapel
Strikingly located in the centre of the town, set against the hillside above and to the SW of the parish church; raised up on a revetted and railed terrace with simple gates and gatepiers.
Parish Church of St. Mary
Prominently sited in the town centre within a raised, rubble-walled churchyard; on sloping ground, the W end set into a hill.
The Old Rectory
Located towards the SE edge of the town; occupying a commanding hillside position S of the Afon Crafnant, close to the old Trefriw woollen mills.