History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Port House

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandygai, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.232 / 53°13'55"N

Longitude: -4.1105 / 4°6'37"W

OS Eastings: 259226

OS Northings: 372629

OS Grid: SH592726

Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.09ZP

Mapcode Global: WH547.T1T3

Entry Name: Port House

Listing Date: 3 March 1966

Last Amended: 24 May 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3666

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located at the southern end of the harbour at Porth Penrhyn on junction of the two approach roads; small slate-paved forecourt with low wall and marks of former railings; garden to rear (south) bounde

County: Gwynedd

Town: Bangor

Community: Llandygai (Llandyg√°i)

Community: Llandygai

Locality: Porth Penrhyn

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llandegfan

History

Built in 1840 by William Baxter, reputedly on the site of an old store house, as the Porth Penrhyn harbour master's house for the Penrhyn Estate, which was continuing to develop the port at this time. The building is now (July 1999) used as an office by the University of Bangor. Baxter was clerk of works at Penrhyn Castle between 1819 and his death in 1840.

Exterior

Classical style. Rubblestone, rendered to sides and rear with fine granite ashlar front on plain plinth; hipped slate roof behind parapet with moulded eaves cornice and plain blocking course above. 2-storey, symmetrical 3-bay front with central bay forming slight pedimented break with clock in typmanum; horned 16-paned sash windows on first floor with stone lintels and similar tripartite sashes (unhorned) on ground floor in segmental-headed arches. Central wide Doric entrance porch with moulded entablature over 6-panel double doors (now joined as one) with glazing bars in square panes to side lights and segmental-headed fanlight. Prominent red brick axial ridge stack with stepped capping directly in line with entrance. Rear (garden) elevation essentially a mirror image of front except that 'porch' has paired sash windows rather than door; further sash windows to 2-bay returns, including painted dummy window to upper right on right return.

Interior

Converted to modern office use, retains original staircase in central entrance hall; rises along back wall with open iron treads, scrolled balusters and turned newel to foot; 6-panel doors.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a fine building in dignified Classical style at the heart of the important C19 planned dock community of Porth Penrhyn.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Cottage
    Located to the north-east of Port House and immediately north-west of the Penrhyn Estate Office; the cottage has a small garden in front and is approached from the west by a short flight of steps.
  • II Hen Swyddfa'r Porthladd (Old Port Office)
    Located approximately 20m to the south-west of Port House immediately to the north of Pont Penrhyn.
  • II Penrhyn Estate Office
    Situated directly to the east of Port House and approximately 30m north-west of Port Lodge; low rubblestone wall in front with privet hedge following curve of road and ashlar gate piers aligned on mai
  • II Parapet/Boundary Walls on Port Lodge approach to Penrhyn Castle
    Eastern continuation of abutments to Pont Penrhyn, on the north side running down the lane between the Penrhyn Estate Office and Port House and on the south side towards Port Lodge; the walls also con
  • II Pont Penrhyn (partly in Bangor community)
    Spanning the Afon Cegin just south of the present main approach to the docks at Porth Penrhyn, the road carried by the bridge leads to the Port Lodge entrance to Penrhyn Castle.
  • II Port Lodge
    Located at west (Porth Penrhyn) entrance to Penrhyn Castle; the park wall continues to north and south; Virginia creeper grows over the higher part of the lodge.
  • II Dockmaster's Office
    Located on the western quayside of New Dock at Porth Penrhyn towards it southern end.
  • II Penybryn Bridge, including railings & lamp standards
    Carried the lane up to the Golf Club, over the sunken section of the old Holyhead road just below The Old Farmhouse.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.