This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2322 / 53°13'55"N
Longitude: -4.1101 / 4°6'36"W
OS Eastings: 259252
OS Northings: 372652
OS Grid: SH592726
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.0B36
Mapcode Global: WH547.T0ZY
Entry Name: The Cottage
Listing Date: 3 March 1966
Last Amended: 24 May 2000
Source ID: 3667
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located to the north-east of Port House and immediately north-west of the Penrhyn Estate Office; the cottage has a small garden in front and is approached from the west by a short flight of steps.
Community: Llandygai (Llandygái)
Locality: Porth Penrhyn
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Late C18 or early C19 cottage, probably incorporating parts of an earlier building. Datestone (see Exterior) relates to Pearse Griffiths, naval captain of the late C16, but this is reset. At the time of Survey the Georgian 6-panel door had recently been replaced by a new 6-panel door and the cottage was in the process of being repointed.
2-storey main range, aligned roughly east-west with recessed range on same alignment set back to right (east) and extended considerably to rear. Roughly coursed rubblestone (roughcast to recessed range); slate roof. Main range has gable to right with 2-light windows on each floor, that to first floor of reduced proportions, both with slate cills and lintels; entrance immediately to left of gable and flush with it (the gable slightly projects from the remainder of the main range) has 6-panel door in round-headed arch with square panes to fanlight; left gable end has projecting centre section with 2-light window on first floor and 3-light window on ground floor; reset datestone above former inscribed "1593/ PG". Tall C19 red brick ridge stack with stepped capping directly to left of entrance and external lateral stack with similar shaft to right return of gable.
Contains staircase (in line with entrance) with thin columnar newels, swept rail, and closed string; cupboard below has H-hinges with short straps.
Included as a late C18 or early C19 cottage, probably with earlier origins, which retains its modest vernacular character substantially intact.
Other nearby listed buildings