This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0435 / 53°2'36"N
Longitude: -4.3056 / 4°18'19"W
OS Eastings: 245532
OS Northings: 352061
OS Grid: SH455520
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.DBL2
Mapcode Global: WH43S.TRXP
Entry Name: Lleuar-fawr
Listing Date: 29 April 1952
Last Amended: 15 September 1999
Source ID: 3681
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farm is approximately 1.5km due W of Llanllyfni, off the minor road to Clynnog-fawr, and is approached by a long farm track. The site overlooks the valley of the Afon Llyfni.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The present building lies to the S of the site of the original house, occupied in the beginning of the C17 by William Glynne, who died in 1609, and whose monument is in Clynnog church. In 1660 the house passed by marriage to the Parliamentarian commander Col George Twistleton, who rebuilt the property on the present site. This building was later destroyed by fire, but a stone doorcase with his coat of arms and dated 1675 survived to be incorporated into a new farmhouse, built by the Glynllifon Estate in the early-mid C19.
The present house is built of local stone rubble, with slate roofs. Two storeys, 'L'-plan, with a porch on the main wing. Three varied large paned horned sash windows on each floor, 12-pane in the angle, 9-pane and 6-pane on the wing, and similar windows on the ground floor of the gable end. Axial and gable stacks. The doorcase is in the S face of a gabled porch at the end of the wing. It has cyma and hollow chamfer moulded jambs rising to a depressed Tudor arch formed in the lintel, and has fern leaves in the spandrels. A high label moulding frames an inscription in raised lettering reading .... NB / MMA YN HIR AMM.. / .. DDI DI AM FI HEB FOD. Above the label, a large coat of arms supported with scrolls, and parted per pale, Twistleton impaling Glynne, and at the fess point of the latter, a rose indicating difference. Below the date and initials G16 75T.
The building is included as a well preserved estate house retaining a fine and well carved doorcase from its predecessor, set in the porch.
Other nearby listed buildings