This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.135 / 53°8'5"N
Longitude: -4.2843 / 4°17'3"W
OS Eastings: 247281
OS Northings: 362195
OS Grid: SH472621
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.6HRQ
Mapcode Global: WH43F.5G3H
Plus Code: 9C5Q4PM8+X7
Entry Name: Coed Helen
Listing Date: 31 March 1983
Last Amended: 3 May 2002
Source ID: 3816
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In its own grounds (Coed Helen Caravan Park) and reached by a drive on the W side of Coed Helen Lane.
Locality: Coed Helen
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
On the site of an early C17 house, as shown by the survival of a dated tablet of 1606 and the initials WTG (William Griffith). The present house is mainly C19. Its main entrance, as shown on the 1890 Ordnance Survey, was in the W elevation but this portion of the house was subsequently taken down and a new S wing was added in its place in the mid C20. The house was subsequently converted to provide offices, shops and leisure facilities to a caravan park.
A 3-storey house comprising 3 parallel wings joined by short links, but without retaining a fully articulated entrance front. Walls are roughcast painted cream and the N and central wings have projecting boarded eaves, partly replaced. Roofs are slate and partly retain C19 graded slates, with end stacks to the N and central wings. The N wing has a 5-bay N wall, the bays grouped 2 3. In the upper storey are 12-pane hornless sash windows, with larger similar middle-storey windows, except that the centre and R-hand windows have single-pane upper sashes while the L-hand bay has an inserted door. In the lower storey are four 2-pane sashes, the L-hand bay having a revetment where the ground level is higher. The L gable end faces a terrace at first-floor level. On the R side is a square freestone tablet with '1606 WTG' in relief. A small casement window is upper L. The R (W) gable end has an external stack offset to the R and inserted doorway to the L.
The link between N and central wings has, facing W, a 2-storey canted bay window with hipped roof incorporating 16-pane hornless sashes and inserted door. The central wing projects forward on the W side. Its 2-bay W gable end has 16-pane hornless sash windows in the lower storey, replaced small-pane windows in earlier openings to the middle storey and blocked windows in the upper storey. Set back is a link between central and S wings, which has 12-pane sash windows in lower and middle storeys. The shorter S wing is stepped out further on the W side and has some metal-framed windows while others are boarded up. In its S wall are 3 glazed double shop doors.
The central wing S wall is 4-window with openings offset towards the L side. In the lower storey is a boarded door with overlight (boarded up) to the R, a 12-pane horned sash window next L and then two 12-pane hornless sashes. A short single-storey gabled projection is at the R end. In the middle storey are 12-pane hornless sashes, while the R-hand pair have louvres replacing the top panes. The upper storey has only a 12-pane sash window to the R and 2-pane sash window to the L of centre. Another 12-pane sash window is upper R in the E gable end, beyond which the link between N and central ranges has a 12-pane sash in the upper storey, blocked middle storey opening and replaced door in the lower storey.
The original plan is much altered, but in the link between N and central wings is a service stair with fretwork balusters and panelled newels.
Listed as a C19 country house of earlier origins retaining external character.
Other nearby listed buildings