History in Structure

Portico to the former Penrhyn Arms Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Bangor, Gwynedd

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.2307 / 53°13'50"N

Longitude: -4.1133 / 4°6'47"W

OS Eastings: 259034

OS Northings: 372491

OS Grid: SH590724

Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.0H97

Mapcode Global: WH547.S2G3

Plus Code: 9C5Q6VJP+7M

Entry Name: Portico to the former Penrhyn Arms Hotel

Listing Date: 27 May 1949

Last Amended: 2 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 4095

Building Class: Domestic

ID on this website: 300004095

Location: At the side of the lane leading up to the Golf Club; retained as a feature in the Penybryn gardens.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Bangor

Community: Bangor

Built-Up Area: Bangor

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Tagged with: Portico

Find accommodation in


Formerly the portico at the main entrance to the Penrhyn Arms Hotel built in 1799 by Benjamin Wyatt. Owned by Bicknell family in earlier C19 and then in 1884 it became the first home of the University College of North Wales. Additions were made by Richard Davies, architect of Bangor. The University moved to new buildings in 1926 and the hotel was later demolished to enable the A5 to be re-routed slightly to the N.


Freestone Tuscan Doric portico set against a coursed rubble arched entrance that formed part of the long Georgian front. Voussoirs to archway and sockets for beams for porch roof. Paired columns to the front of the portico, pilasters to the block; plain entablature with slate plaque reading: "1799-1884 Yma Y Safai Gwesty’r "Penrhyn Arms" Cartref Cyntaf Coleg Prifysgol Gogledd Cymru 1884-1926".

Reasons for Listing

Group value with Penybryn House, The Old Farmhouse, Penybryn Bridge and the old road cutting.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Revetment Walls and Railings
    Short sunken section of the former London to Holyhead Turnpike road cut through the hillside. Reached off the Llandegai Road opposite the road to Port Penrhyn and off the High Street beside Tan y Coe
  • II The Old Farmhouse
    Situated on the terrace above the sunken section of the old Holyhead road cutting and reached by the road by the Golf Club. Penybryn House detached to left.
  • II Penybryn House
    Situated on a terrace above the sunken section of the old Holyhead road and reached by the lane up to the Golf Club; approached from the right past The Old Farmhouse
  • II Penrhyn Bridge, including parapet walls on the approach road to Penrhyn Castle Port
    Spanning the Afon Cegin at the inner end of Penrhyn Docks. Reached off the Llandegai road and carrying the rear drive into the Penrhyn Estate.
  • II Tan-y Bryn Lodge
    Set into the hillside at the base of the drive to Tan-y-Bryn house; at a splayed angle to the main road.
  • II Tan-y-Coed
    Elevated above the road with broad views across the Menai Straits; at the W end of the old Holyhead road cutting.
  • II Penybryn Bridge, including railings & lamp standards
    Carried the lane up to the Golf Club, over the sunken section of the old Holyhead road just below The Old Farmhouse.
  • II Pont Penrhyn (partly in Bangor community)
    Spanning the Afon Cegin just south of the present main approach to the docks at Porth Penrhyn, the road carried by the bridge leads to the Port Lodge entrance to Penrhyn Castle.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.